PDA

View Full Version : Depersonalization/Derealization

Conorm
20-01-12, 17:10
Hi everyone

this is really getting on top of me :'(, can some one PLEASE explain why i get this feeling in my own mind like i dont know my own self, feelings or emotions, as if im a different person to my body or my own mind, its really scary and i convince my self almost on the spot that im going to go mad:( i feel like my life is over and im going to be like this for ever, im sixteen years old and this is horrible, the one thats been bothering me is the "i feel like i dont know my own mind" or "i dont know myself anymore", im speaking to people, my family and i cant interact properly because of this, im speaking but constantly thinking to myself while speaking"is this me or my voice" or "why am i speaking how am i speaking who am i :("!!!

My mind is so confused and fuzzy, ive had this for about 2 months and half now, im battling on but this "dont know who i am anymore or my mind feel like im losing it" is the one really getting to me.

Some one out there must know what this is, is what i just explained part of my anxiety, de realization and depersonalization or is it something else and im going mad?:(

robinbrum
20-01-12, 17:15
I can only speak from my own experience but identity issues are pretty common in people of your age but more so for people with anxiety who tend to be more sensitive and sometimes morbidly self-aware. I would advise you to keep as busy as you can and try not to over-analyse everything. Don't spend too much time by yourself either which is something I used to do when I was 16.
Hope that's been of some help. Good luck to you.

Stormsky
20-01-12, 17:15
hi
it is anxiety.. and it is only a sympton of anxiety, its not an illness in itself... it does hang around a while, but it will go eventually.... i used to have it bad too, but not anymore... when i felt it, i just made myself go do something, or try think something positive... try looking at old photos and remember those times, remember some old memories, and who you were... your not lost.... just gone off track for a bit...:)

Conorm
20-01-12, 17:27
Thanks you two, did u have the " i dont know my own mind" one.... even as i write this im thinking to myself i dont know who i am. aghhhhh its so horrible :'( thanks for your commentsxx

Stormsky
20-01-12, 17:38
yep always felt like i was watching myself do these things, but like it wasnt me doing them..

robinbrum
20-01-12, 17:38
Yeah but the fact is you do know your own mind and probably better than most. I don't know your circumstances but I'm guessing there's some unhappiness somewhere. At 16 you're new to all these emotions and they can be pretty terrifying. When I had my first panic attack I thought I was having a seizure or a heat attack. Your body is changing all the time and your pumped full of hormones you never had before. What your doing is quite sane in many ways. You're trying to separate yourself from a situation you feel you have no control over, hence the feelings of derealisation you've been having. It's all perfectly normal!
It's great you have sites like this where you can share experiences...nothing like this around back in 1982!

Stormsky
20-01-12, 17:40
like your just a spectator

---------- Post added at 16:40 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

It's great you have sites like this where you can share experiences...nothing like this around back in 1982!

agree. 12yrs ago i just thought id gone crazy and no one else had this

lou597
20-01-12, 18:19
hi im 18 and suffer on and off from derealization. I think its a mixture of hormones/stress/anxiety/depression. Its very scary i would sometimes look around at my mum/brother and question if they actually related to me :scared15:

Conorm
20-01-12, 18:20
Thanks alot you two :) really appreciate it, x

---------- Post added at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------

lou, its exactly what i get, that one really gets to me, dont worry i always have that one :( xxx

robinbrum
20-01-12, 20:40
hi im 18 and suffer on and off from derealization. I think its a mixture of hormones/stress/anxiety/depression. Its very scary i would sometimes look around at my mum/brother and question if they actually related to me :scared15:

Yes, it's quite scary sometimes when you realise members of your family are actually related to you:roflmao:

Conorm
20-01-12, 20:53
Corr this mind thing is doing my nut in, its like i speak to myself all the time saying shut up stop being silly... i cant help it.

Stormsky
20-01-12, 21:04
I know, we have to constantly fight the negative chatter with positive statements like you said... it is annoying, but you cant leave negative stuff buzzing around, you just have to tell it to shut up!

bignik
20-01-12, 21:06
try distracting yourself Conorm , listen to music or relax cd or something , or TV I sympathise If only I knew the answer too , the two of us could have a peaceful night , you need to just keep telling yourself its just a thought and try allowing it to pass.

Conorm
21-01-12, 01:38
thanks you lot:) really help me xx