PDA

View Full Version : Citaloparam and exercise

oneofus
20-01-12, 22:31
I have been on citaloparam for about the last four months and my manger at work had been noticing I was dozing in the afternoon. After referring me to occupational health she was advised my sleepiness was not due to a medical or health reason :-( Instead I have been put on a semi formal improvement programme with an ultimate threat of dismissal if things don't improve.

To help things along my wife thought it would be a good idea to join a gym, which is where problems occurred. I haven't been seriously exercising for many years but all the same after five minutes on an exercise bike I started to sweat profusely, felt very nauseous and feint. It took me an hour or so to recover, and the gym instructor showed some concern.

I rang my doctor out of hours service and they said the heavy exercise had exacerbated citaloparams side effects; increased pulse, raise blood pressure etc.

Has anyone else suffered anything similar? Should I carry on with gym exercise but with lower intensity?

Cheers

Oneofus

Charnwood Fox
21-01-12, 19:04
You are probably suffering from serotonin syndrome. (Potentially fatal, not that I want to scare you.)

You are taking citalopram and exercising - both increase the serotinin level in the body.
Perhaps all you needed was to exercise. Try reducing the amount of cit if you intend to continue with the exercising. Speak to your GP first, obviously.

pinkdove
21-01-12, 19:50
HI i think it might be better if you exercised a little at first, say a walk each day for a week or so, then a little further till you feel more comfortable with it.

i also take cit, and find i tire easily, i think your employer is being a bit harsh, have you explained the meds you are taking, and how anxious you have been ?

Take it easy one day at a time and good luck

oneofus
21-01-12, 21:29
Cheers both,

Thanks for the replies. The serotonine syndrome seemed a bit over the top at first but when I checked on the symptoms it makes sense. One of the symptoms was an increased reflex sensitivity and thinking on my knee tap reflex became very sensitive. Not too worried since I was fine when I went to the gym this afternoon, but I may have a chat with the doc on Monday.

One of us

J0sHi
23-01-12, 22:01
lol serotonin syndrome way to go and scare people. One is extremely rare and two only occurs when you overdose or mix aload of serotonin enhancing drugs. ie. MAOI with SSRI

Its most likely you havnt exercised for a long time and exherted to fast/worked too hard at the beginning. Happens to healthy people who arnt on medication.

When i first went back to the gym same thing happened to me, i tryed to kill it and then after half an hour had to get out, feeling faint + nausea's semi-panic attack.

Fitness comes back quick just take it easy to begin with.

haz
23-01-12, 22:14
lol serotonin syndrome way to go and scare people. One is extremely rare and two only occurs when you overdose or mix aload of serotonin enhancing drugs. ie. MAOI with SSRI

Its most likely you havnt exercised for a long time and exherted to fast/worked too hard at the beginning. Happens to healthy people who arnt on medication.

When i first went back to the gym same thing happened to me, i tryed to kill it and then after half an hour had to get out, feeling faint + nausea's semi-panic attack.

Yeah, I agree. My Psychiatrist was on at me today about exercise but the gym does make me feel dizzy and faint, this is due a little to my meds but mainly cos I'm really unfit!

When I was going to the gym last time, this happened to me on the exercise bike so I just skipped the bike as part of my workout.

Think I'll start walking first before I attempt the gym to try and build my incredibly low fitness levels first!

oneofus
23-01-12, 22:24

I'll run with that except the doc has now referred me on to for a possible Transient Ischaemic Attack (mini stroke). I think he's just been very careful even he said it's a 1 in a hundred chance, so I'm not worrying too much. More annoying is I can't drive until I get the all clear; that'll please my manager since I won't be able to get into work on my doctor's advice.

Now off to bed, back to the treadmill in the morning.

Night all
One of us

theharvestmouse
23-01-12, 23:13
So you can't do intense exercise while on Citalopram?

If this is the case I'm going to ask to come off it, I'd rather be able to exercise. I've just started doing a lot of walking again and about to do a lot of cycling.

Does anyone on here do intense workouts and take CIt.

william wallace
24-01-12, 00:34

If this is the case I'm going to ask to come off it, I'd rather be able to exercise. I've just started doing a lot of walking again and about to do a lot of cycling.

I take Cit and walk the dog an hour or so every morning, go to the gym 3 times a week and work hard at it, and cycle a fair bit on nice days. No worries mate:D

oneofus
24-01-12, 09:03
William,

Like the attitude! To everyone else I'm sure the doc is being over cautious. It's much more likely I hadn't exercised for a while, hadn't eaten enough before exercising and my body decided to let me know.

The only fact I would mention is that anti depressants, bless their cotton socks, can effect blood pressure. But you're better exercising than not. Looking at the others who are in the gym can even make you smile at times. The first guy I ever met in a gym, looked very fit but undressed to reveal a foot long scar down the chest after major bypass surgery.

One of us

william wallace
24-01-12, 09:46
Another good thing about going to the gym is the abundance of totty. Everywhere you look there's lasses of all shapes and sizes. I dont think they go there to keep fit, they go there to give heart attacks to old codgers like me:D

haz
24-01-12, 12:08
William,

Like the attitude! To everyone else I'm sure the doc is being over cautious. It's much more likely I hadn't exercised for a while, hadn't eaten enough before exercising and my body decided to let me know.

The only fact I would mention is that anti depressants, bless their cotton socks, can effect blood pressure. But you're better exercising than not. Looking at the others who are in the gym can even make you smile at times. The first guy I ever met in a gym, looked very fit but undressed to reveal a foot long scar down the chest after major bypass surgery.

One of us

I know! I got really embarrassed and ashamed of myself when the pensioners were clearly a LOT fitter than me. :blush:

william wallace
24-01-12, 12:22
I'm going hillwalking this afternoon, probably end up breathing out of my arse but it's worth it to see things from a higher perspective:D

oneofus
24-01-12, 14:14
Ah! Tottie that must be why the wife goes with me then.

She used to go to the gym at work. Always came back with a smile on her face ....... That's what you get when you work with military.

Hope you enjoyed the hill walking William, must try it myself sometime.

One of us

haz
24-01-12, 16:21
I'm going hillwalking this afternoon, probably end up breathing out of my arse but it's worth it to see things from a higher perspective:D

Lol ! Love yer patter William Wallace. :roflmao:

Greenman50
24-01-12, 17:30
Does cit raise blood pressure then ?

Mines a little high at the moment , and i,ve just started at thr gym as i,m such a fat knacker and put 3 stone on in a year :blush:

william wallace
24-01-12, 18:23
Too misty for hillwalking today, try again at ther weekend:)

Charnwood Fox
24-01-12, 19:40
lol serotonin syndrome way to go and scare people. One is extremely rare and two only occurs when you overdose or mix aload of serotonin enhancing drugs. ie. MAOI with SSRISerotonin syndrome may be rare, but SS is caused by the body having too much serotonin. Citalopram (SSRI) and exercise both enhance the serotonin level in the body.

haz
24-01-12, 21:29
Does cit raise blood pressure then ?

Mines a little high at the moment , and i,ve just started at thr gym as i,m such a fat knacker and put 3 stone on in a year :blush:

I think, if anything, it "MAY" lower it in some people. Emphasis on the "may", same as all SSRI's.

As for the weight gain, some, if not all of that will be down to your meds. Again, a lot of SSRI's "MAY" cause weight gain in some people.

oneofus
26-01-12, 16:21
ok! Just back from hospital appointment with all clear, no TIA. Hospital doctor put it down to a one off, took a fistful of blood for precautionary tests and says I can get back to abnormal.

Now the wife will expect me to do all the cooking again :-) Already had a bacon roll to celebrate!

one of us

fell_on_black_days
27-01-12, 00:05

I do. some days seem better than others. had a good run the other day but today felt tight in the chest and struggled. load bearing seems ok but cv is where I tend to notice it more.