PDA

View Full Version : Beta blockers

jayork
21-01-12, 16:27
Hi all i'm quite new here,

I have recently started with anxiety and panic attacks and mild depression(because of the panic attack fear i believe) and i have seen 3 doctors each with his/her own recomendations. The most recent got me to fill in a questionaire and from this told me i'm no really deprssed but do have an high anxiety level and i know i suffer panic attacks(god do i know) he said since deprssion drugs are irrelevant why not try beta blockers. Any opinions on these would be appreciated.

---------- Post added at 16:27 ---------- Previous post was at 16:25 ----------

I should of checked my spelling etc sorry<---just realised a person with a normal anxiety level wouldn't mention this because they quite rightly would not care! lol

robinbrum
21-01-12, 16:29
Beta blockers are great for controlling the physical symptoms of panic attacks primarily palpitations. That stops the secondary anxiety of worrying you are going to drop dead or have a heart attack but it's important to stress that it won't stop you having the panic attack in the first.
I still use them occasionally as a last resort and they are a very useful tool in dealing with anxiety.
best of luck:)

Loubeelou
21-01-12, 18:11
I currently take 20mg atenolol daily and can honestly say they do nothing at all for the anxiety however I continue to take them as I fear if I stop my palpitations may get worse. I know if I get a full on attack they do not help but they may be helping my rapid heartbeat that in turn triggers an attack.

I guess they can be helpful for some physical symptoms but don't help overall with anxiety iykwim x