PDA

View Full Version : Hantavirus!? Any advice?!

TheMonster
21-01-12, 17:12
For those that don't know, hantavirus is a virus found in mice droppings.

My daughter and I are living with my parents because my fiancé is in the Navy and is away right now. They live in a country house in Indiana. In the room my daughter and I are staying in, there are two mice I think. I'm guessing two. I have seen one come out and run across the room a bunch of times. Traps are set, and I never really thought much about it. But I am a hypochondriac with anxiety disorder and OCD, and I found out about hantavirus, and am scared to death now. I realize there is mouse dropping all over the floor in my room. I sprayed Lysol EVERYWHERE in the room and left for an hour. I am constantly sterilizing my body. I'm afraid if my feel touch it, and my feet touch another part of my body, I'll get it. I can't let my nine month old daughter play because I'm afraid she'll get it. My parents say to not worry about it because it's very rare here, and that "they all grew up with mice and are fine". But my mind tells me differently. My carpet is shag like, so I can't exactly pick up every piece I poop. My only choice is to vacuum it, but I read not to do that. I'm so afraid of this now, I hate to even step into our room because there is poop in my closet , everywhere! I can't even eat I'm so afraid. Please help! I really new advice here, please!

countrygirl
21-01-12, 20:35
Although we don't have hantavirus in the UK from what I have read as long as you don't dry brush a room that had mouse droppings in it you should not catch the virus as its caught when it is airborne and you breathe it in. As I say this is only from what I have read so someone may know alot more than I do from your own country.

Cduplacy
25-09-18, 11:52
What happened?? Did you get it? My 10 month old daughter and I are at risk....

Elen
25-09-18, 14:51
This post is over 6 years old.

I am betting that the OP got help with their health anxiety so no longer posts.