PDA

View Full Version : Laparoscopy

LuSmith
22-01-12, 09:43
Anyone had one? I have a procedure next month and am scared beyond belief, never had surgery before!!

Any advice or knowledge on what to expect?

Dying_Swan
22-01-12, 13:11
Hi LuSmith.

I've had two. What do you want to know?

Mine were both pelvic - ovarian cysts and endometriosis. I would guess it partly depends on which part of you they are operating on.

Usually it's just day surgery, but I've stayed in hospital 1-3 days following both of mine so take some PJ's if there's a chance you might need to stay. If you don't already have some, invest in some very loose jogging bottoms. They fill you up with gas and you'll be a bit sore and bloated afterwards, so you need something loose and comfy to wear.

Although people often think it's minor because it's keyhole, they do tend to pull you around a bit and it is perfectly normal to feel tired and bloomin' sore afterwards! You may also get some pain in your shoulders because of the gas they use. Peppermints are good to help relieve this. Constipation is also quite common after surgery because you don't move around as much. Take it easy, but start mobilising when you can.

Take some warm clothing...I'm always freezing when I wake up! You'll have a sore throat afterwards - normal. And make sure you give yourself some time to heal up afterwards...no rushing back to work!

If there's anything else you want to know, give me a yell.

Best of luck...you will be absolutely fine :)

sickandtired
22-01-12, 13:29
I had a laparoscopy a few years ago...and 2 other procedures at the same time....hysteroscopy and Mirena coil fitting.
I was a nervous wreck in the days leading up.....didnt eat or sleep for 5 days....
I arrived at the hospital,very early and was on a side ward with about 8 other women.....the lady next to me was called in first so I assumed I,d be next (good....get it over and done with) It wasnt to be....I was the last one taken to theatre.I neednt have worried,before I knew it,I was back on the ward and asking when I could go home! I went home a few hours later,but if I remember,I couldnt drive for 48 hours
you do need to rest though,you,ll have a stitch or two where they keyhole instruments go in,and you will get trapped wind and feel tired,and a little sore.I took some herbal tablets for the trapped wind....cant think what they were now...charcoal tablets or something?
my results came back...all clear....just a hormone imbalance and a few adhesions,caused with the cesarean section years ago.
and I ,d convinced myself it was something serious!!!

ElizabethJane
22-01-12, 15:15
Hi I have had two laparoscopies in the past and have a neat little scar where the probe went in. There first one was done as a day case NHS but I was very nauseous and bleeding from the probe site (unusual) so spent the night on the gynae ward. The next one to investigate the causes of my infertility was done privately and I stayed over night. I felt much better the second time round as I was not nauseous and knew what to expect. I did not experience the gas pains which can be quite bad. My tummy was distended for about a week afterwards and I returned to work soon after that. EJ.

LuSmith
25-01-12, 20:44
Hey everyone, thanks for your responses :)

Well my lap is in 2 weeks. I also am having a hystereoscopy and a colposcopy at the same time to rule out everything. They say they didn't see any growths on my ovaries so are ruling out cysts as far as i know, but checking for endo as my lining was a bit thicker than it should be. Bit worried because of the results tbh haha.. I know I'll be sore but its more what they'll find. Guess I've gotta go through with it though!!

Thanks for the advice, willtake pjs just in case. (and a book)

bluebel
25-01-12, 22:06
hey lu

just wanted to say good luck with your hospital stay, ive had two laparascopies and i was found to have endometriosis, so if you need any info on it please feel free to pm me.

:)

LuSmith
26-02-12, 15:59
Hi everyone. Had my laparoscopy on the 7th Feb, and though bleeding hasn't been heavier than a medium bleed period, I'm still bleeding even now (26th Feb) and a little concerned about it. Should I be worried? I spoke to one doctor who said over 10 days is worrying but another one said you can bleed for 4 weeks? i then rang the hospital who said as long as it doesn't get worse and worse (or smell bad) it should be okay for now... but I'm worried it'll never stop! I don't want to have to have another lap as this was a horrible experience upon waking up for me :(

anyone else have any idea of how long bleeding is generally considered normal?