PDA

View Full Version : Slight pain under rib cage and back - a little disturbed.

Beyonderz
22-01-12, 12:16
Hey all,

I am a little bothered with some sort of very slight pain and discomfort under my right rib cage and sometimes same area at my back, and same feeling in between my shoulder blades.
This feeling under rib cage, can be described as a slight stabbing, but it doesn't take too long time, not persistent or nothing very severe. But it's quite disturbing. I also feel upset burning stomach/reflux and rarely a burning sensation in middle of upper chest.

I will see doctor soon but I cant help getting anxious about it even though the people around me keep telling that it's most probably gallbladder stones.
But as far as I read from Dr. Google (yeah sorry, I know) the pain suppose to be very severe. So I started getting anxious over it, thinking it might be something more serious with lungs or liver, even can be my right breast.

Anyone had gallbladder problems with very slight symptoms and very little pain? I don't have stool discoloration or nausea, or fever. Other than the anxiety, actually the pain I am having under my rib is not bothering me at all.

Thanks for reading.

haighy
22-01-12, 13:35
hi im 25 and i had those symtoms bad back pain under ribs i thought mine was my kidneys,had at least 4 weeks and its only just started easing. any questions inbox me trust me ive seen 8 different doctors in past 3 month and they have all said its anxiety

swgrl09
22-01-12, 18:26
Hi, I'm 23 and I am having similar symptoms. I too have no other symptoms, except sometimes my muscle pain from tension in my back stretches around to the front if that makes sense. I attributed it to that ... when I am not thinking about it, I notice nothing. It's probably just anxiety, but a trip to the docs will only help, not hurt.

Also if it helps - I work with two people who had to have problems with their gallbladder, and both were in bad pain where it was hard to bend over or move. One had it removed, and one is controlling it with diet.

Em.ma
22-01-12, 19:07
Hiya. I have things like this all the time. I have been told its anxiety (sometimes i get acid under rib that causes pain there) but it is nothing serious

Beyonderz
22-01-12, 21:44
Thanks everyone for your kind responses.

I am trying to convince myself that this is not a serious thing. Yeah seriously, when I go outside, walk to market, talk to other people or even when riding bicycle I don't feel it much or don't think about it. But I do sure have it a bit more at evenings and night time. And especially when I'm sitting, not when I'm standing. but the weird thing is now I feel it in left side instead :P. It's like wandering around in same area, left and right. This is making me think more of it being stress related (hopefully).

I remember I was having excessive gas and burping a bit more than usual 3-4 weeks ago, and then I started having that weird slight and dull pain on my back. You know the rest... Thoughts of every possible serious condition around that area passed from my mind like a long train. Then, I remember these pains starting, right after I feel panicked. And with the panic, stomach pain went worse, I am sure of it. I usually forget that digestive system is the most vulnerable to stress.

I hope it's nothing serious. Thanks to you all.

miss_t
22-01-12, 22:57
I've had exactly the same symptoms, and mine was acid reflux

Beyonderz
24-01-12, 00:35
Yeah Miss-t I hope mine is also something like that. The thing is I usually get those back pain and abdominal pain during evening and night. I am trying to stay calm telling myself that, if it was something serious it would keep on going whole day maybe...

Today I had no pain in morning and until evening time, and I ate properly today with no symptoms of indigestion, it's just I ate a bit spicy potato chips around 9 pm, now I am having so much gas and back pain (usually around rib cages back, and around shoulder blades, yes that "up" also) and this back pain is making me anxious actually.

I stopped worrying about the rumbling gas, under-ribcage-pains and that annoying spasmic feeling all around my abdomen, because the disturbance is all around my abdomen, 4 quadrants totally. And I got like a very pale colored poop today morning (not to gross you out, sorry) though the structure was normal. I hope it doesn't continue with that color :( I can't help but worry about that color change (even though it's just one day for now), and my all around back pain.

I need to find more logical explanations to debunk those symptoms, until I get called from health center for Doctor visit.

Ivory
24-01-12, 02:31
Hi there. Sorry to hear you are going through this uncomfortable issue. I have had the EXACT same thing happening to me for the last 3 1/2 months. This pressure, fullness sensation under my right ribcage that radiates to my back. Almost like I have something in there. It comes and goes and doesn't really cause pain, just uncomfortable and scares me. I've also had tummy troubles too since this pressure feeling started. I've been walking around in a haze convinced there is something terminally wrong with me. I've been to the ER and my Dr office at least 10 times. I've had ultra sounds, CT scans, blood work, EKG. Everything came back completely normal and fine. My Dr. said its my anxiety and perhaps IBS. I'm relieved that there is nothing seriously wrong with me and grateful that it is a treatable and managable condition. Everyday I feel a little bit better than the day before. If you are young and healthy and don't have a family history of major illnesses than I would not worry. I know that is easier said then done but I swear to you I have the exact same thing. Keep us posted as to what your Dr says and if you start to feel better. Good Luck...

zephyrpuss
24-01-12, 07:48
Hi - just to answer an earlier question
Yes I have had gallstones for approx 13 years now, well 13 years from the date they were found lurking in there! I had/have IBS and relux and GERD greedy of me I know! I have to say that for me the pain is off to the right, slightly under the bottom of the right rib cage and into the back esp. between the shoulder blades. Yes the pain feels like standard acid reflux sometimes not overly painful. Now I've been told via ultrasound results that I have multiple stones. It was because of long standing stomach & IBS that they tested me for gallstones. I also and as yukky as it is a subject get on times pale poo and that is due to the gallstone issue. This is esp bad when I've had too much diary or fat and other times it can be when I eat anything at all and sometimes when I@m reall unlucky nothing at all!. I can get bad pain (bad enough for mourphine injections in hospital) to just mild pain and if I'm really lucky hardly any pain at all no more than normal reflux. It is hard some times to know which is playing up more...the stomach or the gallstones - but then the gallblader via the ducts that empty into the intestines causes pain in the stomach/chest and back. It's a nasty circle that goes round & round for us with a unstable digestive system isn't it? You should know if they are gallstones because if you press into the top right quadrant you can feel a really painful but localized area. Please remember though that the gallblader is attached to the liver so don't go jabbing at yourselves! also gallstones when they flare up cause an extremely sharp stabbing right sided pain and sometimes into the back more often than not after eating, for me it's approx 40mins after but sometimes upto an hour+ after food.
Gallstones HATE icecream (not the good ones like Hagan D**)and low fat spreads this was told to me in hospital by a doctor, it is due to the low quality fat emulsions in them. It is not always from butter & greasy high fat foods that trigger the pain!
Hope this helps?!

Beyonderz
24-01-12, 09:06
Thank you guys!
I am a bit more relieved now, at least I dont have a persistent pain. Just waiting for Dr visit.

I am going to write about the visit so if anyone experiences the same and feels uneasy, maybe knowing it would help relaxing.

Feel well

Kabsy
06-02-12, 11:19
Beyonderz

I am so glad you posted this as I have been suffering the same symptoms as you. Its driving me mad, as I am obsessing about it constantly. Of course, I am convinced I have some horrendous disease or illness.

My discomfort seems to move around my right ribcage area and into my back. It can be as high as immediately below my bra and as low as my mid rib cage - it also moves into the same area in my back - and sometimes higher into my back into my shoulder blades. I also find my stomach suffers randomly from feeling like a washing machine to mild cramping. I too also find that usually if I am distracted I am not aware of it. It doesn't bother me when I lie down and quite often I find I don't have it most of the day and then it starts again. Its never a pain though, would say discomfort or dull mild ache.

I suffer from acid reflux and take Omeprazole I also have a family history of hiatus hernia. Added to this I am also very overweight. Picture of health aren't !?

My chiropractor says its all musco-skeletal - and for a while I can believe her and then my mind starts racing off again. My GP has taken 2 sets of LFTs which have come back fine - has examined my stomach twice - which again was fine. She is sending me for an ultrasound on friday to check for gallstones. I have no other symptoms -no fever,no weight loss, no nausea, no vomiting, no bowel or urine problems, etc etc. However,my GP seems not very concerned (think the ultrasound is to put my mind at rest more than anything) says she is expecting to find nothing and we will never know what it is.

Will post back again when have my results (waiting for results -gahh! How can I stand the waiting!!)

kirst xxx
06-02-12, 15:31
I love these forums!!! Just when I think I'm the only person experiencing some crazy symtpom I come on here and find it so thank you guys : )! I was told me right side pain was stress and then ibs but I believe mine was more muscular instead if deep pain!iand I was always pokin and prodding which prod didn't help! My new anxiety is itching now all over and yes mr google diagnosed liver cancer! What a fab doctor he is... Not!

emmawalton
06-02-12, 17:23
hey i am not alone i feel like this too, its horrid i am convinced something seriously wrong with me.

Beyonderz
06-02-12, 17:48
I experience my problem less often lately. Like, it happens for 2 days then goes a way for 2 days then comes back. I am guessing it's nothing serious.

I visited doctor and he didn't seem to be concerned also. He asked questions and I told him that I am not having nausea and not waking up from my sleep with a severe pain. He did all blood tests possible - including liver functions (which all surprisingly came back in 3 days, I hope they are not waiting for the remaining tests or anything). Doctor also mentioned about some gallbladder problems, a slight inflammation or maybe stones, but he only gave me some gas medicine, nothing else. He didn't even mention any liver problems.

Results only said I have high blood fat, other than that nothing is wrong. Doctor didn't even feel the need to have abdomen ultrasound. So I can not know what's going on in there. I am suspecting from IBS, because I am sometimes having irregular BM. I know from my mom, gas actually can be the reason of many kind of pain. Since it mimics others and appears in anywhere between the chin and genitals.

Well yeah, I try not to occupy my mind with that ribcage area anymore, and since I started no thinking about it, it feels better I think. We will see.

Kabsy
06-02-12, 18:20
I wondered about IBS too. Think the liver tests we really to placate me as when it started I convinced myself I had liver disease/cancer. When I suggested this to GP she said " you don't look like someone with liver problems.... no jaundice etc." I think because three people I knew last year died of liver disease/cancer and it was the power of suggestion.....

I think you're right though I need to stop thinking about it, and also to take care of myself. I really need to sort myself out - loose weight - eat healthily - exercise. Think all that would help. And maybe I might try another chiropractor.

Beyonderz
06-02-12, 19:43
Yeah I agree.
Actually Liver is the only organ in body that regenerates itself, even from a bad stage. And as far as I know liver problems don't show any symptoms until it gets very very bad. So most probably those little pain around that area isn't related to Liver. Therefore doctors didn't even mention about it.

It's good not to think too much. It clearly shows that it's nothing serious, because the slight pain is not persistent. In worst case it's something gallbladder related, which is usually not dangerous. And I am having that feeling mostly after meals, which shows it's digestion related. Maybe, who knows.
If it gets worse, I'll see doctor again :)

Bigbaz
12-02-13, 19:53
Like a few of you have said, I thought it was just me.

I've had this sensation for many years. It varies from the top of my ribs just to the right, all the way down to the curve of the ribs at the bottom and feels like someone has gripped me. More of a discomfort than a pain. There's also a similar sensation in my back, almost directly opposite.

I must have had 10 doctors have a feel over the years, followed by the routine blood tests all of which have come back fine. I tended to just ignore it, then it would pray on my mind, so back to the docs I went.

The last doc I went to see seemed to think it was muscular and for the first time I had a name - Tietze Syndrome.

So this time I've been trying Ibuprofen for the last couple if days. I'm still not sure, but try to keep in mind if it was anything serious I'd have fallen off my perch by now.

andrea15
12-02-13, 22:30
Hi. Also dealing with rib pain at the moment, left hand side mainly. Worried about lungs as Im a smoker. Feel free to read my threads.

Dont Google! Go to drs if you're worried. I was supposed to stay off Google for my cbt and I managed 2 hours! Good at giving out advice but crap at taking it .

Where in ribs is pain? Mine is only a few times a day and more of a nibble than a pain. In bottom 2 or 3 ribs at the front. Do lungs even go down that far?!

Best wishes
Andrea x

*niggle lol

whinray
16-10-13, 21:17
hi,i had the same symptoms and used to come on this site for advice as it sort of made me feel ok knowing I wasent the only one suffering..but now I feel strongly to reply to you.i,v finaly been diagnosed right,by a simple stool test and it appears I have bacteria in my stomach,so I,v been put on anti biotics,the condition name is quite long but I googled it and I suggest you do thhe same.HELAELIOCOCACTERPYLORI...I do hope this helps you as I tend to think everything is nerves and those symptoms aren't I,m afraid.best wishes to you.