PDA

View Full Version : Scared to start Effexor xr

Kev707
23-01-12, 11:40
Hi all iv been recently told by my doc to give Effexor xr a try starting at 75mg daily every morning but I'm scared to start it after reading on the net about really bad sideffects and making your anxiety worse, I was on citalopram for over a year but had no emotion constantly dizzy and no sex drive, was just wondering if anyone on here has switched to Effexor xr from citalopram and the differences they noticed in the two drugs? Any help would be good cause my anxiety is through the roof of now and don't know what to do

Danath
23-01-12, 11:54
First off when you're prescribed something don't go reading about it because it will make you think you are going to get these obscure side effects which are extremely unlikely but have been written in just to cover the pharmaceutical company legally.

secondly yes I've switched from Cit to Venlafaxine and found it to be much more tolerable than Citalopram in general

Catya
23-01-12, 14:02
This is just what I'm doing but it's early days still. Good luck.

petram
23-01-12, 14:48
im on 75mg only 6 thday of increasing it hun , i cant tolerate ssri s but this is a bit better than them , i was he same as u and read allthe bad stuff . u wont know unless u try kev ,
but i feel ya pain xx

Carys
23-01-12, 15:09
I am not on the extra life version, that you have been prescribed, but the 'normal' version of venlafaxine. I swapped from dothiepin years ago, and have not had one itsy bitsy side effect.....nothing.

petram
23-01-12, 15:26
im not on the xl or xr watever it s called either im on the tabs , how far into taking the med are u carys?
and are u feeling any benifits as off yet?
x

Carys
23-01-12, 15:39
Hey Petram, we've 'talked' on another thread I think about venlafaxine. I am 13 1/2 years into taking them :roflmao:and after being on 225mgs daily I am now on 37.5 mgs daily. They genuinely saved me at a time of complete crisis, or at least started the process of recovery in combination with changing my mental reasoning.

I am the one who has been struggling to come off venlafaxine for the last 8 years and don't need it anymore ! Don't let that put you guys off though, it can be done :yesyes: I just need to devote some time to start cutting tablets into little bits as advised by the doctor .

Are you feeling any improvement Petram ?

petram
23-01-12, 17:42
oh yeah , x
in some ways yes im getting my appetite back and seems my phsical anxiety is getting less , but my ocd is through the roof at the mo !!! which is causing me to get down n anxiety to creep back in ....................xxx
do u mind what i ask u was being treated for on venlafax? :)
im not on slow release x 2 37.5mg 1 am n 1 pm .

---------- Post added at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

it wil be 4 weeks thursday in total x but only a week tom with the increase x