PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline and ciltalopram

maverick11
23-01-12, 15:35
Hello All,
I was just doing some research on sertraline and came across this site. I have been on sertraline since 23rd December 2011. I was first on 50mg for 2 weeks then it was upped to 100mg. I used to be on ciltalopram 60mg until end of November 2011 and was taken off it as there were links to heart problems. My problem is the side effects. First week I had tingly legs, then from the 2nd week I had no appetite nausea, and started getting strange panic attacks lasting upto 3 hours from 6am and all through the day. By strange I mean churning stomach and weak legs. Now during last week I was getting feelings like someone is grabbing hold of my calfs, and waking up at 4.30 until 6am, the these attacks would happen. My shrinks says I have to give it at least 6 weeks, but when I was on ciltalopram I never had any panic attacks. Has anyone else had these side effects, and if so do they go away. Its been 4 weeks now, and im still getting the leg problems and panic attacks. I have even considered getting a natural remedy Kalms to see if that helps, but not sure if it will help or intefere with my meds.
sorry to go on, but I feel like I am going mad, any help would be appreciated.

I stopped my citalopram dead, no wind down on advive of my shrink. I had leg pains, and funny feelings behind my knees.

Regards
Pat

Danath
23-01-12, 15:53
Hi, welcome to nmp.

I just had to stop sertraline on the morning of my 3rd day due to horrendous anxiety, but if you are able to tough it out then stick with it because it will probably go away eventually.

My pharmacist told me not to take kalms with sertraline as I had considered this prior to starting treatment with sertraline.

Doctors and pharmacists will tell you that the time period expected to get the best benefit from them is 6-8 weeks so you've done 4 weeks, keep going! Theres a very strong possibility that 4 weeks from now you will be feeling like your old self again. Don't let the fact they didn't work from me or others put you off if you can keep tolerating it.

maverick11
24-01-12, 18:13
Thanks for your help.

I phoned my doctor today, and he said I should not have been put up to 100mg yet, and has told me to take 50mg one day then 100mg and stay like that. I asked a pharmacist about my legs and she agreed with my doctor and said I should phone my shrink, and let him know. I tried to phone him, but could not get through. Will try again tomorrow.
Regards
Pat

maverick11
29-02-12, 13:43
Hello All,
Sorry been a while, but I am now back on Citalopram 40mg. Been back on it for about 3 weeks now. My head is feeling better and thinking better now, but I seem to have all these weird feelings in my legs, and stomach. I also have very sweaty hands, very anxious. Could this be due to sertraline withdrawal symptons, and my GP just swapped me over and did not taper me off. Please help as I feel like I am going mad.
Thanks
Pat