PDA

View Full Version : Med choice - better the 'devil you know'?

The Raven
23-01-12, 18:01
Hi there

I came on this site recently to say that after 18 months or so of trying to battle anxiety/depression et al on my own I felt I couldn't do it any more and it was time to take the familiar journey and buy a ticket on the Medication Line.

I have been on Cipralex two or three times in the past few years and the first time in particular was a massive help. The last time saw my a bit overwhelmed by the side effects initially so I came off them pretty quick and have been left battling on my own.

Well the battle finally got to me and so I was reluctantly back in the doctor's room again on Friday. I expected to walk away with my usual Cipralex but he suggested as this was a recurring problem we try something different which initially excited me (OK, perhaps 'excited' is over egging the pudding!:)).

So he prosocribed Duloxetine. Yes Duloxetine.

:shrug:

No I hadn't heard of it before either.

I immediately came back to this site and posted a 'what the heck is this drug' post and had lovely responses from Stormsky, bignik and especially Loreen. Loreen is someone for whom this drug has really helped . As I said in my response to their posts (some of this is pasted from it) I was thrilled Loreen had found a drug that is working for her but sadly, her enthusiasm is not matched in many other places. As there are so few references to the drug (also known as Cymbalta) on this site - which worried me a bit as this site seems so comprehesive and up to date - I had to go looking elsewhere and I am afraid I didn't find much reassurance.

I know a lot of people post when they have had bad experiences but they also tend to when they have had very good ones too (like Loreen) and I am afraid good ones are very rare indeed for this drug. I have used Cipralex two or three times and have always found as many good reports as bad even on the most critical of sites and I am wondering whether I should go down that familair route again as I have had success there before.

The thing is I have been battling for so long about whether to go back on meds again but this confusion over a drug that has so few people believing it that I can find has only made my nervousnes worse. I just can't find any desire to try a drug which many people seem to have had problems with - and many others don't even know on a site like this.

My prescription is still in my pocket but my question is - is is better to go with the devil we know (in my case Cip[alex) or should we just go with the flow and do as the doctor says? I know no-one else can really answer that but I had to put this down and ANY advice (or info about duloxetine/cymbalta) would be so very much appreciated.

Thanks for reading...

Sam (The Raven)

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/nmp/misc/progress.gif

swanlinnet
23-01-12, 18:51
Hello It won't altogether hurt, I imagaine, to follow the doctors advice just so s/he knows you are willing to follow her/his suggestions.

I do know some medication is pernicious. And once we discover through experience a drug is not for us, then it's time to go back to the doctor and get the medication revised.

Good luck,

Vince:)

suzy-sue
23-01-12, 19:18
Im surprised you wern't perscribed Mirtazapine .As this too is a SNRI like Cymbalta /Duloxetine .Mirtazapine is the most perscribed SNRI in England ..They both work on a different chemical in the brain than SSRIS .bUT DO BOTH DO THE SAME THING .It can be trial and error to see what works best for you .Some people that dont respond to SSRIS are given SNRIS THE NEXT TIME, AND VICE VERSA .All these drugs unless its reactive depression they are treating ,wont cure the problem .Its important to find other things to work alongside them so when you come off them you are in a better position mentally to cope with the cause .Ie CBT .Councelling Self help in the form of Diet exercise .Relaxation ,and Other Therapy's available . Duloxetine is given to combat pain in the form of Osteoarthritis Fibromyalgia as it works on the nerve receptors of Neuropathic pain as well .Most drugs cause a worsening of symptoms before you feel any benefits .so try to persevere for at least 6 weeks ..This is perscribed a lot in America and im sure your Dr thinks it will help you ..Wishing you good luck with it ..T/c Sue

ElizabethJane
23-01-12, 19:26
I am taking mirtazapine 45mg but I have also been prescribed duloxetine 60mg in the past. It did not agree with me making me extremely giddy and nauseous to the point of being sick. It also caused inorgasm which I do not experience with mirtazapine. It is supposed to be a 'wonder drug' and might suit you as we are all very different in make up. I had high hopes for it and it failed to deliver. EJ

eight days a week
23-01-12, 19:35
This site is absolutely brilliant, but it's not 100% comprehensive (how could it be?)

I've got a prescription for buspirone but there's almost nothing on here, and very, very few people taking it it seems.

After researching a bit (it also has mixed reviews elsewhere - but then most of these types of meds do) I'm just going to go for it and try it for a few weeks - nothing to lose!

Another thought - how long were you taking the cipralex before? Perhaps you weren't on it long enough?

I think the point that you have to put other things in place, that it's not a cure all by itself, is a very important one. Once I'm taking the buspirone (if it helps) hopefully it'll give me enough of a boost/breathing space to make other changes that will help me in the long-run.

Best of luck to you :)

Belleblue
23-01-12, 20:59
Hi Raven - yes I'm surprised too that you weren't prescribed Mirtazapine. Duloxetine is a very expensive drug, it's still on patent and most GPs are reluctant to prescribe it (like my own one) because of this. When it goes off patent you'll find more people's experiences of it on forums such as this as doctors will be prescribing it more often.

It's entirely up to you what you do, but in your shoes I'd give it try. You've got a month of meds there - so maybe try it for two to three weeks and if it doesn't work out then bin the rest. You can then try the cipralex again if you want to.

Take care.
Belle x