PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about trying Lyrica, but have anxiety about taking meds. Some qs?

tiddleypom
24-01-12, 12:42
I've had panic disorder for nearly 7 years. As I understand it, Lyrica is more for GAD and not so much for actual panic attacks, but I suffer pretty much constant anxiety and it seemed like something that might offer me some breathing space for that.

But... I'm scared of meds. I've been on 3 different types of SSRIs and I reacted pretty badly to all of them, plus coming off them was horrible.

I'm just wondering if any of you who take Lyrica could maybe put my mind at rest because I really want to try it, but surprise, surprise, I'm all anxious about it (it kinda makes me laugh that the very thing that could help me with anxiety also scares me. Aren't our minds just little tricksters?! :roflmao:)

I have labyrinthitis, so I get bouts of vertigo already - will Lyrica make that worse?

What about this drunk or high type feeling I've heard about? I don't want to feel like that.

When you take them, do you still feel like yourself, only better, or do you feel out of it but not anxious?

Sorry for all the questions.

robinbrum
24-01-12, 14:36
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=106493
There's quite a wide spectrum of experiences there and elsewhere on the site. So far I'm having little joy with this drug, however I do seem to be the exception to the rule.
Good luck making your choice.

JT69
24-01-12, 15:26
Hello,

I have found that it has turned my life around...I too was scared to take it but found very little in the way of side effects and really I was absolutely fine. I guess if you want to feel the benefit you cant do that without trying??

Shame its not working for you robinbrum...its obviously not for us all.

Take care
Jo.x

tommy67
24-01-12, 15:42
I've had panic disorder for nearly 7 years. As I understand it, Lyrica is more for GAD and not so much for actual panic attacks, but I suffer pretty much constant anxiety and it seemed like something that might offer me some breathing space for that.

But... I'm scared of meds. I've been on 3 different types of SSRIs and I reacted pretty badly to all of them, plus coming off them was horrible.

I'm just wondering if any of you who take Lyrica could maybe put my mind at rest because I really want to try it, but surprise, surprise, I'm all anxious about it (it kinda makes me laugh that the very thing that could help me with anxiety also scares me. Aren't our minds just little tricksters?! :roflmao:)

I have labyrinthitis, so I get bouts of vertigo already - will Lyrica make that worse?

What about this drunk or high type feeling I've heard about? I don't want to feel like that.

When you take them, do you still feel like yourself, only better, or do you feel out of it but not anxious?

Sorry for all the questions.

I only started taking it . I suffered for years from panic attacks anxiety which made me almost suicidal .
I have found it to be a wonder drug . I am a wee bit forgetful and a wee bit lightheaded at times but it is a nice feeling . Like having a couple of glasses of wine

I would give it a try . I know not everyone finds it helps

hanshan
25-01-12, 14:12
Hi Tiddleypom,

I hope pregabalin may help you with your anxiety.

It does seem to work best for low level anxiety, though that may help you to then focus on treatment for panic attacks.

The most commonly reported side effect is dizziness, so that may impact on your labyrinthitis. However, in my case the dizziness disappeared after about four weeks.

I have never felt high from pregabalin. It's weird to say, but from day one it made me feel more normal. If I can give an analogy, it was as though I'd been looking at the world through a window covered in grime, and then one day the window was wiped down and the grime hosed off.

Hanshan

ExtremeAngst
26-01-12, 17:00
I only started taking Pregabalin yesterday so can't give you much advice but I've heard it can work wonders for anxiety. My GP and Psych were really relucant to prescribe it due to high cost but I've been totally debilitated by extreme anxiety for the past 8 months and not been able to work or function normally on any leval. I've had GAD for the past 25 years. It has been really well controlled since 1995 with Paroxetine but for some reason in May 2011 I went into extreme anxiety and major insomnia and only had relief from it with short courses of Lorazepam.

I've been tried on a whole raft of different meds - zopliclone (bad amnesia and suicidal), olanzapine (agitated and suicidal), quetiapine (same as olanzapine but even worse), mirtazapine (worst one ever - manic and suicidal after one 10mg dose - psych told me to keep taking it and I didn't get a wink of sleep for 2 weeks - not exagerating there). Now been on 50mg of Sertraline since second week of December - much improved, but easily flustered and panicky and still not sleeping much. Hence the Pregabalin trial.

If your doc is willing to prescribe it give it a go - if it doesn't suit you can always stop it. I took my first 75mg dose last night and slept quite heavily. Woke up dizzy, feeling drunk and hungover at the same time. I'm hoping my body will get used to it. I need to get back to my job asap as they are thinking of terminating my contract as I've been off so long so I'm hoping Pregabalin will help me out.

hanshan
27-01-12, 12:00
Hi Extreme Angst,

Some of the reactions you have suffered after taking different drugs seem very strong, so I would think they may possibly be due to other factors. For example, feeling manic and suicidal after 10 mg of mirtazapine - was there anything else that may have caused this reaction? Similarly, not being able to sleep for two weeks, as mirtazapine usually helps people sleep.

I hope pregabalin can help you, as it has helped many people, including myself.

Hanshan

Hi again Extreme Angst,

I've just read in another post that you are a 43 year old female. It's not for me to say, but hormonal changes may be a factor.

Keep posting and talking to people to get you through this.

Hanshan