PDA

View Full Version : Lofepramine

Coni
14-06-06, 13:29
Hi everyone,

Ive been taking lofepramine 70mg twice a day for almost 2 months now and apart from some nausea and a dry mouth have been ok on them and have started to fell a real difference, particularly this last week.

However I forgot to take my night time one last night ( I have real trouble remembering the evening dose) and then by the time the kids went to school and I went shopping I realised I hadnt taken one this morning either and I eneded up with a really pounding, severe headache, so bad I could hardly bear to move.

Does anyone know if this is because I missed a dose. It worries me that I would have such a severe reaction after only one missed and one late dose. What must it be like to try and come off these (not that I'm intending to at the moment)?

Does anyone have any tips for remembering the second dose? I feel like my brain turns to mush by the evening lol!

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Coni X

Daisybun
14-06-06, 13:45
Hi Coni, don't know this med, so can't speak about the symptoms you have. But about remembering meds, have you got a routine you do before bed? I keep my meds by the bed so that they are staring me in the face. My friend keeps the daily dose of her meds in a pot and then she knows when she's them all (she's 14 different things!!). You could set a reminder on your mobile phone or set a timed alarm that might help.

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

bluebottle
14-06-06, 17:48
I've just been prescribed them. I've tried lots of different ones in the past with varying results, so I'm hoping these work.

--
Blue -
"Your truth is better for you than someone else's. Just get to know what it is, so you can finally own it, and speak it."

Coni
15-06-06, 06:55
Hi Guys,

thanks for replying. Daisy I think you're right and routines the key...I think I'll try taking them as soon as my eldest goes to bed, maybe that'll remind me, or maybe just remembering how rotten I felt yesterday will be a reminder in itself lol!

Blue, I hope you get on ok with these...I've found them really helpful...Its just the twice a ady thing which is the pain lol! How often do you take yours?

Coni X

bluebottle
15-06-06, 09:16
Hi Coni,

I've got to take 1 for a week and if I feel better up it to 2. I don't understand it, as you normally up them if you don't feel better.

--
Blue -
"Your truth is better for you than someone else's. Just get to know what it is, so you can finally own it, and speak it."

chedda
15-06-06, 22:23
Hia i was on these meds quite a few years ago .When you do come off them you have to come off gradually as directed by the doc i didnt have any problems coming off them at all.
The only problem i had was a dry mouth like you described but unfortunately it affected my saliva production long term :(causing havoc with my teeth get asaliva orthana(not sure if thats spelt right ) its helps with the dry mouth and you can get it from your docs :)
Good Luck and i hope they help you
take care cheryl xx

Coni
16-06-06, 07:16
Hi Chedda

thanks for your reply...I might try that for a dry mouth. Forgot to take my evening tablet last night again...hopeless eh? but I was just so tired I was in bed early and when I woke at 2 am and remembered it was too late cos I knew I'd be taking the next one in a few hours. I really need to get myself sorted with this!

Blue, would you let me know how you get on with increasing your tablets please....have you two split the dose like me?

thanks

Coni X

bluebottle
16-06-06, 10:39
Well I don't know if I have to increase them but if I did I'd keep them on my bedside cabinet by the alarm clock, that way you see them when you go to bed and when you get up.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">

Blue, would you let me know how you get on with increasing your tablets please....have you two split the dose like me?

thanks

Coni X

<div align="right">Originally posted by Coni - 16 June 2006 : 08:16:20</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

--
Blue -

bluebottle
20-06-06, 09:17
Hi Coni,

I have only been on Lofepramine for 4 days after a gap of two days when I was on another med. I am finding Lofepramine has ruined my sleep, made me very anxious, and worsened my depression, all side effects of the drug.

Can I ask you Coni, did you experience these symptoms when you first began Lofepramine, and if so how long do they last?

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi everyone,

Ive been taking lofepramine 70mg twice a day for almost 2 months now and apart from some nausea and a dry mouth have been ok on them and have started to fell a real difference, particularly this last week.
<div align="right">Originally posted by Coni - 14 June 2006 : 14:29:08</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

--
Blue -

alexis
21-06-06, 00:36
Hi, I have been on this medication since before Christmas now, after coming off another one, the way I remember my dose is, to put it near my toothbrush as I clean my teeth twice a day, morning and evening just a thought, keep up with the regular doses, xxx

Coni
21-06-06, 12:17
Hi Alexis,

thanks for the tip, I've been a bit better the last few days at remembering. I'm reluctant to leave tablets out because I'm always worried about the kids ( although they are old enough to know not to take any medicines unless I give it to them). I'm going to try taking it earlier in the evning when I'm less tired and maybe I'll have more chance of remebering lol!

Blue bottle, I've been on these for about two months now and I must admit I am now noticing a big difference in how I feel and I am definitely much less stressed. I have noticed though that I still dont sleep well, I feel as though I'm very restless when asleep and I still wake up very early, no matter how tired I am. The only other major side effect I noticed was nausea, which I still get although its not quite so bad...one good side effect was that I have lost about 12 pounds because I had little appetite and felt sick after eating, but thats starting to level off now. For the first few weeks I think I did feel a bit worse and was VERY tearful, though this also coincided with an even more stressful time than usual at work so it may have been that. I'd say stick with them a little longer...its only really in the last couple of weeks I've felt a big improvement.

take care

Coni X

bluebottle
18-07-06, 07:51
Well after about 6 weeks my GP has said they should have made some difference by now and has therefore decided to take me off of them. I am on day 2 or 3 of stopping the evening one and getting the usual horrible withdrawal effects. I'm sick of this cycle of trying tablets only for them not to work and then suffering the fallout of withdrawal.

The GP has decided I now need to see a psychiatrist as they have access to a wider range of drugs. Then he wants me to see a psychologist. I am already seeing one but she is in my home town and not where I'm staying at the moment.

--
Blue -

Jem27
18-07-06, 09:40
Bluebottle what withdrawal effects are you experiencing coming off the lofepramine? I am day 4 of stopping mine and ive felt exhausted beyond belief and my headache feels like ive a brick at the back of my head everytime i move, ouch.

Hope the psychologist can help.

Jem

bluebottle
18-07-06, 10:18
Hi Jem,

Its the typical withdrawal effects, aching arm, feeling very low and anxious, they're difficult to explain but anyone who has felt it will know what I mean. You feel the outside world is shrinking and everything is focused on you. You can't relax, sleep, think straight etc...

--
Blue -

Jem27
18-07-06, 10:31
Oh right, poor you, hope you feel better soon.

I went from 140mg - 70mg over a 2week period then from 35mg-nothing over a week. Ive felt fine other than ive felt exhausted, I do have 3 kids to run after all day;) but I am worrying it could be something bad if im not gaining weight now im eating (hardly ate when i was ill with anxiety) and im feeling shattered. Thought it may just be coz I withdrew so quickly, ive had an awful headache aswell which dr says is bound to be withdrawal.

bluebottle
18-07-06, 11:08
I have cut one 70mg tablet out. You can cut down by using a liquid form and reducing it by 5mg a week but I'd rather get the stuff out of my system as soon as possible, without total shutdown. I will have next week on the 35mg and then stop it completely. Although...... I might go to 105mg for the rest of this week, and then 70mg next week. Perhaps a reduction of 35mg a week is the better option? I have driving lessons coming up and don't want to jeopardize them.

I forgot to mention, this drug made me sweat like crazy.

--
Blue -

Jem27
18-07-06, 19:22
Hiya,

Oh right, well ive gone from 140-70mg over 10-14 days then dropped to 35mg for a week then stopped, maybe I stopped them too quickly and thats why im so tired, achy & headache.

Yes I use to get hot flushes all up my back, awful constipation, dizziness on standing (hypotension), loss of appetite which caused me to lose alot of weight quickly, trouble sleeping and vivid dreams (sometimes nightmares). What gets me is that this drug is supposed to have fewer side effects than the other tricyclics, I was on dothiepin before and only that cause drowziness.

Ju x

bluebottle
19-07-06, 08:36
Yes I was told the same thing "fewer side effects" but this one increased my anger and made me sweat, was hell to get on to and is even harder to get off.

We're just puppets for the drug companies to experiment on. They list huge side effects and thereby cover themselves, and we are so desperate to get well we'll try most things the GP prescribes.

I wish I could explain what withdrawal feels like to my partner, she seems to think its nothing much.

--
Blue -

Jem27
19-07-06, 20:49
Hope you feel better soon, it really is awful isn't it.

bluebottle
28-07-06, 18:18
I increased my lorazepam and that made it much easier. My ex girlfriend had a fit though and we split up.

--
Blue -

Mrs Bloom
02-08-06, 09:00
Hi
Just to say I've been on various a/d's over many years. I recently went back to lofepramine after taking SSRI's for a year. I find them better than ssri's (prozac) but have problems with lethargy and also skin problems. I am way past the teenage years (40) ! but hve had major outbreaks of spots on my face. I know some people have rashes and sun sensitivity but this is different. My self confidence is bad anyway so this is quite a setback. I'm wondering if I should half the dose to see if my skin clears up and to see if I have more energy. Anyone else had this ?

mimismum
01-01-08, 15:54
hi, ihave been on lofepramine for 5 wks. 2 at 70mg and 3 at 140mgs. all i do is cry, i cant go to the loo and i feel weak. will this get better??

Coni
01-01-08, 16:29
Hi mimismum...I have replied to your pm....hope it helps.

luv Coni XX

Black Panther
29-03-10, 06:20
I would take a look at www.cchr.org - I started researching in to these drugs when my mother was prescribed them by her psychiatrist. When you visit the site - also view this video - http://www.cchr.org/#/videos/making-a-killing-introduction - It's very American however, the message is very much the same.

I'm in the process of getting my mother off the drug and it is very challenging. To help with the nerves, I have been advised to give her the following@

3 times a day - Vitamin B1
3 times a day - Juice Plus (Fruit & Vegetable suppliments)
Before bed - Calcium Magnesium

The Vit B1, primes the nervous system and reduces stress. The things that would usually upset or restimulate your condition tend not to have such an impact on you, they don't know why this happens, but it does.

The Cal Mag before bed is very much like what happens to a baby when it has hot milk before bed and helps promote a good nights rest.

The Juice Plus is a fruit and vegetable suppliment that helps the detoxification process of drug from your system.

Hope that helps and if you want any more info, post and reply and I'll gladly help.

loulabella
09-04-10, 10:13
Black Panther, you have already posted this elsewhere and for people struggling with meds I think it's unfair.