PDA

View Full Version : odd lump on my hand

sarahb
24-01-12, 12:35
Hi. Yet another HA for me :( Only just got over the last one. Basically I was driving this morning & noticed when I gripped the steering wheel a small lump came up on the top of my left hand.Sort of in line with my wedding ring finger but lower down on the back of my hand. When I hold my hand normally I cant see it or feel it,its only when its in a certain position. Am I being paranoid? Is it probs just a more prominent bit of bone that happens to stick out more on the left hand? Feel sick & panicky, a familiar feeling to me now :(

Jamesk
24-01-12, 12:37
Probably a little ganglion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganglion_cyst

They can be a bit sore (I have one) in the olden days they would have belted it with a bible to "cure" it.

Nothing to worry about but ask the Doc and he will confirm.

sarahb
24-01-12, 12:44
Thankyou James. I have heard of them but not sure what they are?

countrygirl
24-01-12, 12:45
I had a ganglion at the base of my wedding ring finger that I only found when I was driving as this is where the steering wheel pressed. I had it for two years and if I pressed it for any length of time it hurt so changed how I drove and literaly one day I got up and it had gone! That was 13 yrs ago never to come back.

Jamesk
24-01-12, 12:47
Mine is a lump about a centimetre across by maybe half a cm high in the fleshy bit between my forefinger and thumb. It is much more pronounced when my hand is in certain positions and hurts when I prod it (don't prod it then I hear you cry!)

I am sure this is what yours is, but the Doc will confirm instantly, in the meantime don;t waste energy worrying abhout it, but also don't prod it!

sarahb
24-01-12, 12:50
okay I will stop prodding! it doesnt hurt at the mo. I will get it checked & hopefully thats all it is. I always worry with lumps & bumps :( Thankyou for replying

xtremx
24-01-12, 17:10
Probably a little ganglion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganglion_cyst

They can be a bit sore (I have one) in the olden days they would have belted it with a bible to "cure" it.

Nothing to worry about but ask the Doc and he will confirm.

I used to have a gangloin on my inner upper arm what a pain it was.
The doctor told me about the bible (But i was to scared to do it)

countrygirl
24-01-12, 18:30
Ah the good old bible treatment. My husband has a ganglion on his wrist nad it can get very big and affect the movement of his wrist but he will not let any Dr stick a needle in it as it would only come back anyway so instead of bashing with a bible he presses on the edge of a table as hard as he can until the ganglion pops and goes down :scared15::scared15:. He has to do this about once every year or two and has done for past 12 years.

Beyonderz
24-01-12, 19:45
One of my friends had it on her hand because of lots of sewing and handwork. It's totally harmless and won't turn into something else.
She had it removed with a very very simple operation.