PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me your stories

Anxious_gal
24-01-12, 15:07
Of times when you were anxious about doing something or going somewhere but it turned out to be not too bad or you actually enjoyed yourself .
I get bad anticipation anxiety so any stories would be most helpful and motivating :)

lauz_lea
24-01-12, 19:45
Hi Mishel, I managed a trip to town with my daughter on Sunday. I'd been dreading it (anticipation anxiety is exactly how I'd describe it).

Rather than delaying the inevitable and allowing myself to become more anxious about it, I got us both ready (my daughter is only 7) and off we went.

The purpose of our shopping trip was mainly to buy her a dress for my sisters wedding, something that just a few weeks ago I would have been looking forward to, seeing my little princess try on loads of beautiful dresses, which mother wouldn't love that!?

Anyway, on the way to town (on the train), I just kept asking myself "what have you got to be scared of?", the answer was of course, nothing. I got a little tense at times, sitting in hot changing rooms whilst my daughter insisted on doing the "twirl" test in every dress at least three times, but we found the perfect dress, and better still was the discount at the til.

We even carried on shopping after we'd bought the dress and had a really lovely few hours shopping.

I'm now having "anticipation anxiety" about a lunch date with friends tomorrow. I'm still in two minds as to whether or not to go (one of the friends is also my very understanding boss). My husband tells me I should, and even though I know he's right, the fear is very strong. I need to just do what I did on Sunday and do it.

lauz_lea
25-01-12, 17:55
Well, today was what I can only describe as a MASSIVE turning point for me. Faced with the fear of going out into town for lunch with two of my friends (one of whom is also my boss), I had resigned myself to not going, fear and anxiety were getting the better of me.

Then, my husband (who knows me far better than I know myself, and is usually always right - yes, you read correctly, he's usually always right) got very frustrated with me for giving in to anxiety, so I listened to him, ignored the anxiety and went to lunch.

Once I made the decision, with true commitment and acceptance (good old Dr Weekes), all the fear in me subsided. It just went.

I felt more like me than I have in a long time. I had a fabulous time catching up with the girls.

Today was a "leaps and bounds" day - ONWARDS AND BACKWARDS!

theharvestmouse
25-01-12, 18:08
Ok I've got 2 situations in the past week. The first was going to an art class, I was dreading it and once I was there I really enjoyed it, and was glad I went. The 2nd situation was last night, going to a yoga class, and again I was really nervous but i just went and in the end I enjoyed it.

Both situations I had to just think, ok I'm going to do this, no backing out now, and it worked!

Have some faith in your own inner strength, its there, it just needs tapping into.

:)

lauz_lea
25-01-12, 21:57
Well done Harvestmouse, they may seem small things when we tell everyone else, but only we know the strength it took - pats on the back all round :yahoo: