PDA

View Full Version : Worst Day Yet - A+E visit for 'Lung Clot'

chl_hobbs
24-01-12, 17:54
Hi all,
Well today my HA seems to have hit an all time high (didnt think it could get any worse). I was supposed to be going home after staying with my mum in Devon for a week (on my GPs advice). I woke up during the night with a sharp pain in my upper back - radiating towards my right shoulder. Every time i took a breath in, it hurt. I went back to sleep, then woke up at 8am and had such sharp pain in my right side (under arm in ribcage) and a tightness in the centre of my chest (under my neck).

My mum came in to say goodbye etc and i just cried and was clutching my side and chest. She said did i want to go to her GP and i said "No, A+E". I was convinced it was a Lung blood clot. In the end she did take me.

They did a blood test(all good), a chest xray(clear), my bp(normal)+sats (100%) and pulse (high as normal).

The Dr there said he didnt think it was a PE at all. That I had no risk factors (age,no history, no family history,not on the pill etc). I argued that i DID have major surgery 5months ago and a week ago i had sat on the train for 6hours, but he wasnt worried, and neither was my mum (she works at the hospital as a litigation officer).I really wanted him to do a D-Dimer test but he wouldnt. he said the only thing it could be is muscular pain brought on by my stress+anxiety and/or a slight viral infection starting up...

I went to the train station with mum, and she said that she was NOT letting me travel for 6hours back up north in the state i was in. But i miss my little girl so so so much. I feel awful.

Im still convinced i have a P.E. Im obsessed that he didnt do a D-Dimer blood test and that if he did it would show i have one. Im a nervous wreck now sitting at my mums in a complete state. My back hurts, and sometimes my chest.

Please help me, i cant stop thinking and driving myself mad. My surgery was 5months ago, would i still get a PE now? All my previous ct scans+tests (before December) were ok+the drs have told me that my risk is normal now. I just dont believe any of them anymore :(

Charlotte

Wuboo
24-01-12, 18:10
Sorry that you don't feel to great.

You've had a few tests that all came back normal, is there any reason why you think it's a clot? I think there are quite pacific symptoms with a lung clot and as you've not (I assume) worsened in the last 24hrs I'd put it down to muscular pain too.

I used to get these types of pains with my anxiety before but they soon passed after my anxiety went. Maybe try a hot bath and some paracetamol and see if it helps? If you're still in doubt maybe visit a GP where you are at the moment and see what they have to say.

Em84
24-01-12, 20:58
Awww I really feel for you.....You know what? I've been on and on to my doctor about chest pain, heart palps, shortness of breath, shoulder and arm pain...more and more for over two years.
He's never opted me in for any tests regarding heart issues...I told him last week AGAIN about the pains and the fact I smoke 25-30 a day and he still didn't mention tests just said 'I have plenty of scare stories....you need to stop smoking'....? Great help!
I'm 27 and do drink reg also....I think once anxiety is involved they do nothing...You had some good tests done, and all clear Yay! At least you have that so it's something to feel strong about. it's when you havnt had anything your mind can really play tricks with you because you have nothing to reassure you!
Just try and relax and don't worry!
:winks::hugs:

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

Ooooh are you on Twitter? Your user name is similar to someone i follow? X