PDA

View Full Version : Symptoms that keep coming back

sadie
03-05-04, 18:37
Hi all,

Im sure that this topic has been covered many times before somewhere in this forum but I just need to discuss it again!!

Does anyone feel like there symptoms disappear for awhile then come back worse or maybe just more noticeable??

I feel like I just go round in circles all the time with my symptoms. I can experience chest pains, irregular heart beats, tight chest for so long then they disappear for a bit then I suffer nausea or dizziness or headaches etc. etc.. then the cycle just keeps repeating itself.:(

Why is that?

Is it because I dont really accept the symptoms when they are here, although I think I do and thats why they keep coming back?

It makes me feel like I will always have the symptoms from now on...and to be honest I know I would cope with it but I dont want to cope with it, I just want to feel anxiety free!!

For e.g, this week I have been plagued with lots of weird chest symptoms, chest twinges, tight chest, feelings like I cant breath, irregular heart beats etc... I know I have had all these symptoms before but they seem to always come back and they seem a bit different everytime they do come back, which makes me question are they caused by soemthing more sinister? Is there NOW something wrong with my heart???

Does anyone else feel like me with their symptoms and how do you cope with it?

sadie

benoo5
03-05-04, 23:09
hya sadie,

deep down,you know the answers to your questions,but obviously,its nice to be reassured.

as you know,you have had the tests,and youve had the all clear,from experts,but it must be worrying,when the symptoms re=appear from time to time.

the expert on this is meg,shes been there,and got the T shirt,but shes the first to tell you,that her symptoms pop up,from time to time,but her positive attitude,puts the symptoms,on the back burner.

to be honest,the people at risk,are people who dont suffer from,anxiety,panic,etc...because,they dont go to the doctor,they dont ask for all the tests...and believe me,there are tens of thousands of people walking around,who unknowingly have high blood pressure,and are at risk,from serious health problems...but the people on this site regularly have medicals,and any serious problem,would be picked up.

youve come on leeps and bounds,since you found NMP,just keep up the good work,cos that light at the end of the tunnel,is getting closer all the time!

best wishes matey......bryan.

sadie
03-05-04, 23:20
Hi Bryan,

You are right..it is good to get reassured sometimes even when deep deep down I have the answers to my questions!! I think sometimes I just get tired going over the same things in my mind...It just feels like I'm know further forward, but I guess thats not true either.

If only we could have a magic switch that would shut off the symptoms/thoughts etc...but then what would we all have learned from this?? (thats me trying to be philsophical now)

Anyway, hope your keeping well and everything is ok with the new house etc.

sadie

Meg
03-05-04, 23:42
Hi Sadie,

Positivity takes it so far and I know you're already good at this bit . The next and final bit comes from the introduction of rationality and knowledge.

The symptom that will win today is the one you think about and agree with it, that it might be a true warning.

ie- pulling a nail off below the quick is incredibly painful ( was used as torture by several regimes) but you wouldn't have a panic paddy about it because you could see and understand what it was all about.

Anything odd to do with hearts and heartbeats always instill fear into everyone. Its believing and working out by process of ilimination that this symptom is not serious as A) had it loads before and always ok B) etcetec that yours is healthy -as it was last month . You're young, healthy and been checked. Brain tumours don't appear and grow that fast ..etc etce

The same for the rest too.

Diseases and illnesses are a process - if you're really ill then it takes a pattern and path - not random, sporadic symptoms.

You've been doing so well. I've been so thrilled to read your recent posts . Well done.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

stimpy
04-05-04, 09:40
I think Mr panic sends us these symptoms just to remind us to be calm and rational.

For the last week and a half I've been suffering with the daily chest palpitations, shaking and the over whelming feeling of having to run and hide. The only time they seem to go away is when I am asleep.

So that tells me (using my calm and rational head) that when I am asleep, I am at peace and relaxing. So to make these things go away, I must try to be calm and relax.

You are doing so well, hang in there.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

sadie
04-05-04, 20:26
Thanks Meg and Liz,

I know that I have improved so much over these last few months, particulary because of the help and support from this forum and more recently from Kinnesiology. I guess it will take time to finally stop the symptoms of anxiety since I have had them for a few years now.

I find that when I have some spare time I worry a lot more and then the symptoms appear. I was busy all day at work and I never felt any symptoms!!! I need to occupy my mind more in my free time.

I'll get there in the end...just like everyone else on this forum.

Take care

sadie

apm
04-05-04, 20:36
Hi Sadie,

Not really much to add to the wise words already here. But I would say that (as Meg has so kindly pointed out to me in a different thread), that recovery is not a smooth curve- there are many blips on the way. But you ARE getting better. What happens is (as you suspect) that you have a recurrence of your symptoms after being panic/anxiety free for a while- it makes the symptoms seem more intense when they aren't, in fact are likely to be less intense.

So, hang in there- it's a long road, but you're on it and going the right way!!

Alex.
x

Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
-Groucho Marx.

uryjm
04-05-04, 21:49
Hi Sadie
Yes, I too am always bothered by anxious symptoms despite the fact I've had them a hundred times and nothing untoward has happened. "Ah, but maybe this time could be the REAL THING", my anxious brain keeps telling me.
I've found distraction works, but the real key for me is deep breathing and relaxation, combined with thinking calm, warm thoughts (usually picturing me sitting in a nice beer garden supping a pint on a warm summer's evening!) Unfortunately, the way we live now, even finding fifteen minutes to practice relaxation is tough going. It requires self-discpline, but it really broke a bad panic cycle I was in years ago. I've also never regretted learning to relax, espescially at 3am when you wake thinking something just isn't quite right, but knowing that by relaxing, breathing and positive thinking, you'll soon be back in the land of nod instead of in the kitchen trying to find that Christmas brandy!

Jim

sadie
06-05-04, 21:45
Hi Apm and Jim,

Thanks for the words of wisdom.... you would think by now that I would be used to the symptoms after having them for so long, but there is always this little thing in the back of my mind saying 'maybe this time'...just like you describe Jim. Ofcourse nothing ever happens and Im still here to tell the stories.

Anyway, the symptoms will pass just like before and I guess when I think about it they are coming less frequently than before, so thats a good sign.

Anyway, hope your both well!

sadie

benoo5
06-05-04, 22:42
if i can just add to jims point,about waking under stress,at 3am...it can be scary,specially if your heart is pounding,or you have a pain or two..but most of the time,this is caused by our dreams,or the way,we were laying in bed..but in the early hours,we always think the worse,so what can we do?

firstly..relax the muscles,shake your arms,legs,without damaging your partner(that was meant for you charlie)
secondly..concentrate on your breathing for a couple of minutes..four in..six out.
now what i do,is always keep extra strong mints,under my pillow (you would be amazed at the pains caused by indigestion,and wind)..before laying back down,suck one of the mints..when ready lay back on the bed,but on your left hand side..this side dissipates wind..you will be amazed at the sound of your burp,but in most cases,this will relieve the pain.

hope this helps......bryan.

sadie
07-05-04, 22:05
Bryan,

Everytime I read one of your posts I actually visualise myself doing what you are saying.....its in the way you describe things, its very good!! Maybe you were a storyteller in a previous life or something.

Thanks matey for the good advice and tips.

sadie

april tones
09-05-04, 09:20
i get this but i have asthma which i make worse by over breathing when feel stressed. Do you over breath?? i read a book on overbreathing before and it was useful. Try this exercise to see if you do. take a breath in like you do normally and put your one hand on tummy and one on chest, your hand on tummy should move the most when you breath as this is correct way. If your not breathing properly you can get them symptoms.Hope this helps, im sure you perfectly healthy and its probably just something like this.love april

apriltones

sadie
09-05-04, 18:24
Hi April,

I have read a bit myself on overbreathing and I think I do do this quite a lot. What was the book called that you read?

sadie

april tones
09-05-04, 20:12
i think it was called overbreathing, how to breath properly. i do it alot too, its annoying but a habit, love april

apriltones