PDA

View Full Version : Coming off sertraline - feel awful!

KatiePie
14-06-06, 20:58
Hello everyone

I've been coming off sertraline for about 6 weeks now, reducing my dose slowly. Last Friday I stopped completely and ever since have felt really odd. My vision is all over the place - it's as if I've had a bit too much wine (but I haven't!). When I move my head it's as if it takes my vision a bit longer to catch up. I am beginning to wonder if this will ever stop!! It's getting to the point where I don't feel able to work.

My doctor suggested I go on to Prozac for two weeks as this is easier to come off, but I feel as if I've made a really brave decision coming off tablets and going back on to something else would defeat the object. Not just that but I would really panic about taking something new.

I just wondered if anyone else had this and if so how long it lasted.

Advice greatly welcomed!

KatiePie
xx

nell1965
15-06-06, 09:19
Hi
What you are feeling is all perfectly normal in the withdrawl stage, some people suffer more than others. My advice would have been to have started the prozac just as you were tailing off the sertraline as prozac is def easier to come off of, however as you have now been 6 weeks free from the drug i wouldnt consider taking anything else as you are around half way there with the symptoms, these symptoms you are experiencing should start to ease off very soon. What you might find is that you have a couple of days without symptoms then a couple with etc each time the symptoms will be shorter and the time in between longer. It can take up to 4 months before everything is totally back to normal but stick with it you are over the worst. good luck

I just want my life back
nell
x

nell1965
15-06-06, 09:21
ooops just notice that you have only just stopped it on friday, my advice still stands,grit your teeth and just try and remember that it wont last for ever and you may beone of the people who only has the symptoms for a few days.

I just want my life back
nell
x

devon_guy
15-06-06, 16:22
Hi, I had awful withdrawal symptoms coming off Citalopram which my dr said couldn't possibly exist, and they lasted for about a month but now they have gone I know they were withdrawal. It wasn't nice but you will get through it, just ride it out.

KatiePie
15-06-06, 16:34
Hi Nell and DevonGuy

Thanks for your posts - it helps to know that this is normal! I've taken a couple of days off work and feel a bit better for not having to stare at my computer all day!

KatiePie :-)