PDA

View Full Version : Lump under skin

UFC_fan
25-01-12, 14:50
I found a small ‘bean’ shaped, hard lump under the skin in my shin area…. I have been worrying about it a lot and saw the GP today, He very quickly felt it and said it was a Cyst, completely harmless, he then quoted the long name for it but I can’t remember what that was.
I know that should be the end of it but I’m still concerned, it moves around under my finger but when I squeeze it, it feels really firm.

LizeeeH
25-01-12, 14:59
Hi

It moves about a lot which confirms what your doctor said:)

swgrl09
25-01-12, 15:11
Hi, I have lots of different types of cysts. Is it a sebaceous cyst? I have one on my neck, it is basically just your skin oils that form a cyst. It is truly nothing to worry about and I have had mine for over 5 years now. I was taken aback too when diagnosed, as the doc literally barely touched it and knew what it was and that was that. I was in and out in less than a minute.

Just know that if you have a tendency to get cysts, you may find more. Nothing to worry about at all, just so that you aren't scared if one day you find another. They are harmless.

UFC_fan
25-01-12, 15:23
Thanks for the responses, what concerned me initially was how hard it is, the dr said that being hard was a good thing which i struggle to agree with, it wasnt a sebbaceous cyst i think it had 'fibro' somewhere in the name?

Is it worth trying to lance it?

Jo1981
25-01-12, 15:25
Hey i also have the same thing on my shin i found it last week the doctor just said its a gland..its really small,round and quite soft but it moves about under my skin.i was really worried but the doctor said nothing at all to worry about.

UFC_fan
26-01-12, 10:29
I just keep worrying it is a sarcoma or something nasty, ive asked to speak to the doc again on the phone today to say i want it out. I feel like an idiot as i have been googling, i know, i know.... never a good idea

Carys
26-01-12, 11:29
I have these, and quite a few of them ! They are hard and the same size as you have mentioned.....the skin above mine also tends to get a bit more pink/reddish. I can't recall the name of the cyst either lol, BUT I do know they are really obvious to diagnose and some people are more prone to them than others. I have had them on and off since I was a teenager, and currently have about 5. Mine are (apparently) caused by an over reaction to certain insect bites, that then become this type of hard cyst. Lancing does nothing (tried it :blush:) however, I have found that rubbing them periodically, firmly, each day can get rid of them over time. Sometimes they also just disappear on their own. HTH

UFC_fan
26-01-12, 13:01
They call them dermafibroma i think, mine has no discolouration with apparently it should. I just to the doc and he wasnt helpful at all, just anoyed that i questioned him it seemed, i got a lecture on how the NHS cannot investigate every little lump etc....

Carys
26-01-12, 13:09
Yes, thats it !

Oh dear :o( sorry you didn't have much luck. Could you just pay privately for its removal if it bothers you hugely ?

UFC_fan
26-01-12, 15:03
I could, infact technically i have private healthcare for a couple more days until i move job next week. I need to move fast though.

Are your cysts really quite hard?

Carys
26-01-12, 15:43
Rock hard !! This is gross, if you are of a sensitive disposition to needles read no further - I once tried to 'lance' one and I can assure you that what is inside is a solid lump. The needle just wedged into it.

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

Apparently, from a little research I have done after you started this thread, removal of these thingies mostly always leaves a scar...so you need to decide which you would prefer the lump or the scar ?

UFC_fan
18-03-12, 10:55
Ive now had this lump removed but the concern is not over, the histology has come back as ambiguous - it is either a fatty lump or something called erythema nodosum. If it is the latter it could be an indicator of an underlying condition, at first my GP said it seemed unlikely and was not going to do anything, then i asked if i cud have a blood test and she is now sending me for a chest x ray as well plus blood and urine tests

My overall health is good and certainly doesnt seem to be anything wrong with my chest, ive just beenw out running! This has all got me worried, looking at how these erythema lumps present themselves, mine was nothing like it at all.