PDA

View Full Version : How many attacks do you encounter and how often

bignik
25-01-12, 23:46
I personally suffer about 2/3 each day and have done so for last 4 months and when I discuss with my pyscologist and pychiatrist they always appear to give me the feeling that isnt unusual and easily controlled. Personally I am having great difficulty

So I was wanting to see what the general feeling is with most people and any comments would be useful

tiddleypom
26-01-12, 00:36
I have constant anxiety, but the actual full blown attacks are more up and down. If I'm having a bad spell, I can have them one after another for hours. They tend to come in waves. Other times, I can have one then talk myself down from it and be fine afterwards (well, fine as you can be with constant anxiety :wacko:)

I don't think there's a "normal" way to have these issues. Some people have one attack a week, some have several a day, some have only ever had one, but are so scared of having another it's taken over their lives.

It's perfectly natural for you to be finding this difficult. You're doing the right thing seeing people about it though. It's all good and well for a psychologist to tell you you can get rid of these easily, it's a different thing when you're in the middle of an attack.

But I do believe we can learn to control these things. The further on you get with your therapy, the more you'll start to believe that too.

Harribo
26-01-12, 02:08
While I was on drugs I was having around 10 a month since iv stopped abusing my body around 2 a month if that just constantly anxious...:/

shotokansho
26-01-12, 12:20
Hi there. Before I started taking medication and seeking help (2 years ago) I haven't had one full blown attack, which is really pleasing. However I do still experience anxiety symptoms which I try to control by reading or playing computer games, or sometimes making a phone call helps. It helps me to do something that requires my mind to think. Before I started the meds I was experiencing full blown attacks a few times a day.
They are delibitating and for someone who experiences them can be so scared, I know I was. I hope they get better for you soon. xx

bignik
10-02-12, 18:42
what medication if you dont mind me asking , Ive just been prescribed citalopram on top of my existing ones to see if will bring me down to earth a bit , yes the cbt I think is helping a bit now.

sadly my anxiety is based on real life events which I have no control over , all down to acute stress which I cant do anything about with regards to resolve I just have to get my head around it and cope best I can

AngelHeart
12-02-12, 00:20
I can have days where I am anxious all the time as for panic attacks it depends, sometimes just one a day ( usually at nite ) sometimes a lot more, sometimes I can have them every day , sometimes a goos few days between them, so I dont think there is a set time to have them xx

Stormsky
12-02-12, 00:25
I get anxiety from time to time, but not panic attacks anymore.
Dont take meds either....
I mastered the panic attacks years ago...once you understand them, you can choose not to panic anymore....

Pipkin
12-02-12, 00:40
Hi bignik,

I feel anxious most of the time, much less so at the moment due to venlafaxine. My full-blown anxiety attacks are quite few but my general anxiety goes up and down all the time.

I don't think there's a norm and, for most people, it varies from day to day.

Take care

Pip

lynda46
12-02-12, 01:25
hi, I have suffered from panic attacks for a long time, my doctor prescribed propanalol - beta blockers. My symptoms have got a lot better although I do wake up, with my heart pounding, and it feels like I am going to die. If I wake feeling like this, I have a biscuit or a drink of water to 'ground' myself, which seems to help.... when do you get yours?

bignik
12-02-12, 19:23
mostly worse am daily and then its a constant battle during the day , less so at night but think this due to me having to resort to a dimazepam , I find it very hard to control , constantlt ruminating and constant thoughts dont help

sickandtired
12-02-12, 19:44
my PA,s come in clusters...usually after a period of very upsetting events.
I began having them a few years ago,after 2 bereavements and other upsetting 'events' that happened around the same time,plus a horrible health problem which made me anaemic
then the attacks were triggered again last year after my Mum had a seizure in front of me....my mind went into overdrive and I became obsessed and worried about absolutely everything,and I had been suffering with a bad back which interrupted my sleep for most of last year.
I am really beginning to understand why,what and how the attacks and anxiety are related to these events and other traumatic experiences and hope that through understanding (and help with meds) cbt,councelling I can overcome this and lead a 'normal' life