PDA

View Full Version : Effexor first time

Kev707
26-01-12, 00:19
Hi folks the time has come where I think I'm gona have to bite the bullet and start Effexor tomorrow, have tried for weeks to fight my anxiety/panic attacks but I seem to be getting worse I'm getting several panick attacks everyday and struggle to go out places so more or less I have no life, was just wondering what everyone's thoughts and experiences are with Effexor the extended release type? My doc is gona start me on 37.5 mg then up my dose after two weeks, I'm really scared to start these meds incase I get really bad sideffects or it increases my anxiety anymore than it already is please any help would b appreciated x

Catya
26-01-12, 09:06
Kev I've just swapped to the med and truly hardly any side effects. Probably for me I felt some of the withdrawal of the citalopram but I've been surprised by the venlafaxine.
I also was on 75mg for nearly a week and on Tuesday put up to 150mg (75mg twice a day). Probably a bit of a dry mouth but I feel less zonked out than on the 40mg citalopram.
Good luck to you.

robinbrum
26-01-12, 09:24
Hi Kev, I understand your concerns but I think it highly unlikely the venlafaxine will make your anxiety worse. It didn't work for me. I was on a high dose but all it did for me was make me very tired. I suppose that does somehow take the edge off your anxiety but for me it was at the expense of a good nights sleep and very poor quality sleep when I got any. However that was just me and I think Catya is more typical of most users on here who are taking this medication.
Simple fact is, if you don't try it you will never know. I don't think you have much to be afraid of. Good luck anyhow.

Catya
26-01-12, 15:48
Robin, did you find it difficult to come off, or change over to another one?

robinbrum
26-01-12, 17:12
Hi Catya,
I spent a couple of weeks getting pretty bad brain zaps which can be quite unsettling but that was only in the first few days. After a couple of weeks I was pretty much back to normal. I think long term use makes it much more difficult to withdraw from but I guess that is the same for most meds.

petram
28-01-12, 21:19
would u describe brain zaps as shivers from ya head like some 1 walking over ya grave kinda feeling??? x

robinbrum
29-01-12, 00:31
I would describe it like an electric shock to your brain that jolts you and throws you off balance...it only lasts a couple of seconds but when it happens frequently it is not a pleasant experience...but that's the drugs wearing off and your brain readjusting.

Catya
29-01-12, 09:45
Did you start them Kevin?