PDA

View Full Version : Depersonilation

shotokansho
26-01-12, 12:23
Hi I don't know if I have spelt this properly but could someone please explain it to me? I think I know and think I suffer from it but I could do with someone explaining it to me so I can be sure. I have been having some weird moments and need to know so I can explain it properly to my psych. next time I see him.

Thanks a lot.

Kez xx

Wuboo
26-01-12, 14:02
I get this as do a lot of people on here. Basically it feels like your in a dream, everything feels so surreal, you feel disconnected. It's basically like a heightened state of self-awareness.

This link here should explain it to you well - http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/depersonalisation_and_derealisation.html

Stormsky
26-01-12, 17:57
Depersonalisation and Derealisation are both symptons of anxiety.. they are not an illness themselves... so they will go away as your anxiety calms... its meant to be the way the mind protects you when its just too overloaded with worrying thoughts...
DP feels like you are a spectator in your own life... you see yourself do and say things but it doesnt feel like you...
DR is when everything around you feels alien, not right somehow, even relatives can seem like you dont know them....
thats how i experienced it all anyway... plenty of threads and information on here though for you to read.

shotokansho
26-01-12, 18:19
Thank you for the link, as well as the other information. Well it does certainly sound like something I have been experiencing, mainly when i'm in a crowed place or when there is lots of loud noise.
Thanks again.