PDA

View Full Version : Agorophobia and Phobias

honeybee3939
15-06-06, 09:42
Hi,

I have been suffering from agorophobia for a few years now on and off, but when i seem to get alot better and manage to get on with everyday things i still have other problems with phobias, is it just me or do other people seem to have more than one phobia?or do you think all my phobias are classed as Agorophobia?
I have a phobia of dentists,hospitals, needles, flying, spiders, enclosed spaces,hieghts, driving, Social phobia, and the sight of a piece of coal makes me panic(i dont no why).
Do you think all these phobias are related to Agorophobia?

Love

Andrea
xxx

Ammeg
15-06-06, 10:33
hmmm,
well im not 100% about this honey but all I do know is I have suffered from agrophobia for 4 yrs now and have no other fears besides goin out oh and dentists but thats because of a bad experience! Try and think about wot makes u nervous about these things ur scared of- mayb it stems down to bein generally scared of the outside world!!
Hope i helped some!! lol
Ammegxxxx

Piglet
15-06-06, 13:35
I think it sounds like agorapahobia just with general anxiety thrown in.

Some of the other phobias you mentioned are lots of other peoples phobias too and are perfectly understandable fears - the dentist and needles are so common as to have the majority suffering from them, rather than the minority.

I would continue to work on the agoraphobia in a babysteps sort of way and with that will come an increase in confidence that will help if you have to handle some of the other situations sometime.

Have you thought about joining the NOpanic telephone recovery course (you pay £10 to join the charity and then nothing after that) it runs for about 14 weeks, one eve a week and can be very helpful.

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Paddington
15-06-06, 14:27
i think,[apart from the coal!]it is all part of the anxiety state.I have all the same fears[apart from the coal lol]and its more like a cant control the situation type thing,you know,cant get off/out/up..etc.This is sooo commom on here.Hope that helps a wee bit,lpve mary-rose.xxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

brenda
15-06-06, 16:00
I have the same problems as well.
I have agoraphobia and also have phobias about hospitals, dentists, doctors anything medical and also worry about the smallest symptoms.

I think it is a general anxiety state which you get into and seem to get more phobias as you go along
I started off with the agoraphobia and the other fears developed. probably because of the agoraphobia because I am worried that if I go to the docs, hospital etc I wont be able to leave when I want and get back home.
I am also afraid of dying so any medical things worry me a lot

Hope that helps. you are not the only one
Brenda

nomorepanic
15-06-06, 19:29
Some of them are specific phobias (simple ones) and some are more complex so I don't think they are related to be honest.

Nicola

honeybee3939
15-06-06, 20:50
Hi,

Thankyou all for your kind replies, its nice to no i am not alone with my phobias, i geuss ammeg you could be right regarding been afraid of the outside world, well i have got through the Agorophobia with the right help i shall have to try and concur the other fears i have,the no panic recovery course sounds a good idea i will check it out.

Once again thankyou for all your replies.

Love

Andrea
xxx

Wenjoy
15-06-06, 21:17
Hiya - I know what you mean - my panic is related to the feeling of being trapped and shut in eg doctors, hospital, busy shops, cinema etc which I guess is agrophobia - fear of spaces but being trapped in them - trouble is unless you try to brave it out in these places then the list just gets longer!! Hopeyou feel ok now. Love wenjoy x

chedda
15-06-06, 22:12
Hia Andrea
i can totally relate to what you have put and from what i have learnt since joining this site agoraphobis is not just about being scared to go out its the fear of not being in control of a situation with an escape route.I dont go out at the moment but when i did i couldnt go and get in a queue untill there was no-one waiting and i could go straight through ect because i needed to be in and out as quick as posssible and the thought of having to actually stay there set me into a panic.This could be applied to doctors,dentist ect all situations where you cannot just up and go if you want ,well you could but people would notice and bring attention to your self.Others that you have mentioned are quite common phobias that a lot of people have :).
take care cherylxx