PDA

View Full Version : Why is exercise making me feel sick?

miss sleepy
26-01-12, 20:09
Hello,
I've been on citalopram for a week now and it's causing me some nausea. Was feeling sick in the morning so now am taking it at night.
The trouble is that I train 6 days a week for competitive rowing and I've been feeling so sick when doing so since i've been taking this. Not done any training since Saturday and tried tonight but I was overcome with such nausea that I had to stop. Has anyone else had this and if so, does it go away with time?
My sport is the only thing I love and the thought of now being able to train and compete properly is something I don't want to think about, that will make me feel far sadder than I felt before this stuff made me feel like a vegetable.

:(

william wallace
26-01-12, 23:52
Hi Miss, shitalopram has a tendancy to do this for a couple of weeks until you get used to it. You be back in the boat in no time:hugs:

fell_on_black_days
26-01-12, 23:59
I noticed some effects regarding exercise too, esp' running. feel more puffed out than usual, chest feels tight too.

oneofus
27-01-12, 10:32
Try eating slightly more than did before you went of Cit. It affects Serotonin levels and most of that is made in the gut, even though you need it to work in your head. The coating on the pills can also be slight emetic.

Just started at my gym, and doing nicely after after a funny turn the first day (most likely caused by lack of food beforehand and no exercise for a good while)

one of us

miss sleepy
27-01-12, 11:54
I haven't really been eating much at all. I gave very little appetite, which is unusual for a rower! It's not that I felt tired or unfit when exercising, just the overwhelming nausea so I had to stop. I have training tomorrow morning, last week I wanted to be sick the whole session on the water. Trouble is when you are in a crew boat you don't want to let them down.
Guess I'll see what happens. Hoping it will ease off soon and also hoping that my thoughts and concentration will come back. Uni work
Piling up and I can bring myself to do anything other than sit about like some kind of loser.

OxfordDan
27-01-12, 15:44
Sounds like you up the creek without a paddle :D
Unfortunately Citalopram will test your patience for a few weeks and sadly its the first few weeks you need it to work the most!!
Good luck

miss sleepy
27-01-12, 17:20
Fortunately the club supplies paddles and tomorrow im in the stroke seat which means if I do vomit at least it's not going to land on anybody. And if I was sick no one would suspect anything because it's common to want to throw up when working hard. Cloud with a silver lining perhaps.
This stuff is messing with me. Been asleep all afternoon :(
Will report on my Thames outing tomorrow and if I survive

oneofus
27-01-12, 18:27
Sleepy,

When are you taking your Cit? You may find it better taken in the evening, and once it does kick you'll add your doc to the chrissie card list.

Keep up the exercise, rowing on the Thames sounds just the ticket. hope the uni work goes well as well? What are you reading?

One of us

william wallace
27-01-12, 19:20
Fortunately the club supplies paddles and tomorrow im in the stroke seat which means if I do vomit at least it's not going to land on anybody. And if I was sick no one would suspect anything because it's common to want to throw up when working hard. Cloud with a silver lining perhaps.
This stuff is messing with me. Been asleep all afternoon :(
Will report on my Thames outing tomorrow and if I survive

Hi Sleepy
I'm quite a keen paddler of a different kind, open canoe http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/canadiancanoe.gif
I often get passed on the Forth and Clyde Canal by rowers from the Uni, they leave me spinning:D
Anyway, just a suggestion. Sit behind someone you dont like, and you may have the opportunity to give them a vegetable and pasta shampoo:D

miss sleepy
27-01-12, 19:25
Hi one of us,
I love my sport, it's a huge part of my life which is why it making me feel sad that I feel so unwell at the moment. I'm taking the cit in the evening now after being I'll during training at 8am last Saturday. It doesn't seem to have made a difference yet. Will see what happens tomorrow morning.weve got some races coming up so I have to man up (and puke if necessary)
I'm doing a masters in sport and exercise nutrition. Ironic seeing as the msc has made me stressed and depressed. It's pretty hard going.
Doc not on the christmas card list just yet..,

oneofus
27-01-12, 19:26
William,

That's a sick joke

One of us

miss sleepy
27-01-12, 19:27
Hi William Wallace,
I've been known to paddle a canoe on occasion :) I think at that time of the morning it's likely to be a shreddies shampoo. Lucky the cox is at the other end in this boat or he'd get it in the face, I'm sure that would make me unpopular!

oneofus
28-01-12, 12:04
Hi William Wallace,
I've been known to paddle a canoe on occasion :) I think at that time of the morning it's likely to be a shreddies shampoo. Lucky the cox is at the other end in this boat or he'd get it in the face, I'm sure that would make me unpopular!

Stange name for a cox! But how did you get on this morning. I'm at the gym this afternoon trying out the Concept 2000 for the second time. It's a fun way of exercising but I think I'd prefer to be on water though not in it which is where I would probably end up.

Take care

one of us

william wallace
28-01-12, 15:15
Hi William Wallace,

Canoeing's great fun. Havent been out in mine since last August, but come April http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/canoe.gifif I'm feeling better I'm going to do the Caledonian Canal Fort William to Invernesshttp://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/Smilie_tent.gifhttp://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/Campfire.gifand hopefully none ofhttp://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/swimmer.gif
Hope you start to feel better soon, and give our regards to Lucky the Cox:D

oneofus
28-01-12, 15:18
William,

Don't paddle too hard, you'll bump into the ice breaker :)

One of us

william wallace
29-01-12, 18:35
William,

Don't paddle too hard, you'll bump into the ice breaker :)

One of us

If there's a breeze I'll use the http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/307_sail_boating.gif paddlings ok for a few miles but for 60 I need a wee bit of help:)

miss sleepy
29-01-12, 22:07
Training went ok yesterday and today. We did 30k yesterday which was pretty tough when not feeling great. I fell asleep as soon as I got home. Then today I had to drop out of one fast piece due to feeling sick and also having no energy left at all. It's supposed to be hard but it's been a lot harder than normal as I've missed sessions this week :(
Racing two weeks today, hope I'm back in the swing by then.

You can't beat a concept for a decent workout, I hope you don't use it like a gym rower though or I may be fired to come thwap you on the head. People in gyms on them drive me crazy, they can't do it and the instructors don't know how either. Never ever put it on resistance higher than 5 or 6!

william wallace
29-01-12, 22:20
Single blade type canoeing that I do Miss sleepy:)http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Jei6177TyO0/StjbhnB8pmI/AAAAAAAAAgQ/rnovVEYru3c/s1600/004.JPG

miss sleepy
30-01-12, 10:04
I know the exact kind. I was out in one of those over christmas. Much more gentle than when I'm usually on the water, enjoyable all the same. Have you ever thought about rowing?

william wallace
30-01-12, 10:15
I'd love to try one of those single scull thingies but the chances of that up here in Scotland is pretty slim. Glasgow Uni do a bit of your type of rowing on the canals but the only time I see them is when they go slicing past. :)

oneofus
30-01-12, 19:32
Training went ok yesterday and today. We did 30k yesterday which was pretty tough when not feeling great. I fell asleep as soon as I got home. Then today I had to drop out of one fast piece due to feeling sick and also having no energy left at all. It's supposed to be hard but it's been a lot harder than normal as I've missed sessions this week :(
Racing two weeks today, hope I'm back in the swing by then.

You can't beat a concept for a decent workout, I hope you don't use it like a gym rower though or I may be fired to come thwap you on the head. People in gyms on them drive me crazy, they can't do it and the instructors don't know how either. Never ever put it on resistance higher than 5 or 6!

I find using the oars is easier

one of us

---------- Post added at 19:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Single blade type canoeing that I do Miss sleepy:)http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Jei6177TyO0/StjbhnB8pmI/AAAAAAAAAgQ/rnovVEYru3c/s1600/004.JPG

William, just love those long ears. Do shave carefully or have you a good barber?

one of us

Sophie123
25-03-12, 21:59
Try eating slightly more than did before you went of Cit. It affects Serotonin levels and most of that is made in the gut, even though you need it to work in your head. The coating on the pills can also be slight emetic.

Just started at my gym, and doing nicely after after a funny turn the first day (most likely caused by lack of food beforehand and no exercise for a good while)

one of us

Hi One Of Us. Just wanted to ask how you are getting on with the gym and taking Cit? I have just started running today after a 8 very rocky weeks on cit. I was just looking for some reassurance regarding exercise. thanks Sophie

oneofus
30-03-12, 22:16
So far so good, I now look like George clooney's sister! Mind you finding time and keeping the motivation up is not always easy.

One of us