PDA

View Full Version : My laptop causing cancer.

Em.ma
26-01-12, 21:29
Hi i always from now have my laptop on something before putting it on my legs. i never used to for years before though.
today i had it on two hard back books (really thick ones) and then on a pillow but ive just realised my thighs are still warm from the laptop! and feel burnt and are a bit painful now.
I dont understand how the heat can get through it all lol. maybe ill have to put my laptop on a desk from now on. the pillow is on my lap then the books then the laptop but it still "burnt" my legs.

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

i wont be using it on my legs ever again now especailly if the heat can get through all that. just took it off my legs and they've cooled down.
i thought i was taking precautions but the heat got all the way through :\
I just hope the years i did it for have not caused cancer x

nomorepanic
26-01-12, 21:30
Emma - we did answer this before and I suggested a proper laptop stand and no you can't get cancer from it.

Maybe look out your old post about it

Cell block H fan
26-01-12, 21:31
Are laptops dangerous then? Mine is either always on a bean bag tray or on, beside me at night when I sleep. Didn't know latops were a risk?

Em.ma
26-01-12, 21:35
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=99632 thanks i looked at this aswell :) as it was at the bottom of the page on "similar threads"
I will either save for a stand or just keep it of my legs from now on to save from future worrying of this again.
Fed up of having it on 5 layers of books sometimes and still getting burnt legs lol x
take care.

---------- Post added at 21:33 ---------- Previous post was at 21:32 ----------

"
Are laptops dangerous then? Mine is either always on a bean bag tray or on, beside me at night when I sleep. Didn't know latops were a risk?"

according to people on here no they are not. Please do not let this worry you though a lot of people sit with laptops on there legs for a long time (i did for years) and i'm pretty sure i am cancer free :D x

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------

Cell block H fan:
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=99970 read this and the other link i posted if your worried x

xhyperyogix
26-01-12, 21:38
i never even thought about this before, but i can't see how it could cause cancer. they get hot because they are consuming electricity. i like it when i feel warm on my legs esp in the winter !

love hyper xx

Em.ma
26-01-12, 21:39
Haha. I must admit i have used it as a "heater" when dad doesnt want to use the boiler as his a little short on money at the moment . Started using hot water bottles and wearing thicker jumpers if it gets cold now though x

venusbluejeans
26-01-12, 21:50
your legs would be warm from you having the cushions and books on your knee not from the laptop.

nomorepanic
26-01-12, 21:51
Try this link:

http://www.geekwithlaptop.com/laptop-cancer-is-their-really-such-a-thing-as-laptop-cancer

Em.ma
26-01-12, 22:02
Thanks Nicola. It doesnt even mention any other type of cancer except testuliclar and that is certainly not something i can get lol! :D
Got a bit of pain in thighs now were it was. trying to ignore it.
and many people sit infront of pcs all day along when they work in fields that involve computers :) So i'll try to think nothing of it

swgrl09
26-01-12, 22:10
The only thing (and I pay attention to these things more than I should haha) I have ever heard about laptops being dangerous to health was that there were people out there putting them straight on their bare legs and kept it there too long, day in and day out, eventually getting a burn or heat rash. That was the only thing I can remember about dangers of laptops, so as long as you have pants on you should be fine! Even if not, just don't leave it there for like 4 hours straight.

Em.ma
26-01-12, 22:13
Thanks.
Well i have left it on my bare legs for a while in the summer months before ( i was wearing shorts) for hours sometimes.
95 per cent of the time i have been wearing something to cover all my legs.
I do have a bit of pain there now from the heat on my thigh and really hurts to press against. A tad worried ive killed cells still though.
Anyway cant worry about it. Have to be up at 7 so might think about going to bed soon :)

mikewales
27-01-12, 09:01
The main thing you need to worry about is damaging the laptop by it overheating, the cooling vents on most are on the bottom, so if you put them on a cushion or something soft like your legs, you will block these. You need to put it on something hard so it has space under it for the air to circulate.

And no, warmth from a laptop cant give you cancer otherwise everyone who lived in very hot countries would have it from the normal heat they live in !

robinbrum
27-01-12, 10:16
"Everything gives you cancer
There's no cure, there's no answer
Everything gives you cancer"
Joe Jackson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oDAkmfoAgA

:whistles:
I used to worry about such things and wouldn't use a mobile for years. For the last 10 years I've had one and touch wood, I'm OK. Likewise the laptop.
Anxiety always tries to wind you up...

Groundhog
27-01-12, 12:33
Like a lot of things in life its best avoided to be on the safe side – unlikely to do any harm but why do it if it can be avoided, bit like crossing the road – why cross in the traffic stream if you can use the crossing and reduce your chances of getting knocked down to practically zero.
As said above they hot – normally in one spot where the heat sink is, this can become more of an issue if the fan vents become blocked with dust then they can get quite uncomfortably hot which I must say is something I would avoid having next to my skin.
As a matter of interest we are advised at school not to have our laptops on our laps and we are told not to let the students either unless unavoidable

Acidomoduso
27-01-12, 12:39
Tell you what'd be good.... my wife's gran has a tray but it has like a bean bag under it so it is stable on your legs. That's be good for you to put your laptop on.

Like this...
http://www.theemporiumdirect.co.uk/products/bean-bag-cushion-lap-tray.-countryside-design-sg2108con-.html

Have a look around for more funky designs though - these look a bit old fashioned!

As a previous poster said... the only thing i heard was that schoolkid who were wearing shorts were getting a heat rash type mottling on their legs. That's the worst you'll get but only if you have bare legs!

swgrl09
27-01-12, 16:16
I have one of those bean bag trays too, it's great!

Carys
27-01-12, 17:43
The main thing you need to worry about is damaging the laptop by it overheating

:yesyes:

Em.ma
27-01-12, 19:08
Thank you everyone :)
Mike- I had it on a book then the books on my pillow yesterday :) and the heat got through
Not got it on my legs today :D

mikewales
27-01-12, 19:25
I very much doubt the heat got through books and a pillow, they dont get that hot ! more likely your legs were hot from having the pillow on them.

Em.ma
27-01-12, 21:01
Yes proberly was that lol.
Im also wondering why my blinds are moving like a breeze. my window and doors are shut and i havnt touced them for over 10 minutes yet there swaying. theres no fans on or anything.

swgrl09
27-01-12, 22:16
i was wondering the same thing about my own, then i realized that my heater was right below it.

mikewales
28-01-12, 08:49
If the radiator is below the blinds, its the warm air rising

Em.ma
29-01-12, 16:23
Yes they are but the heating was off at that time and it was still doing it in the morning lol

Podshell
29-01-12, 17:54
Just skimmed through the thread , not too sure it is what is worring, is it a mobile laptop...eg has a dongle in it? if so you can get an extension from the poundshop and place the dongle at a safe distance.

I don't no much about how they transmit and recieve but was assuming the potentially dangerous waves would be around the dongle

Em.ma
29-01-12, 19:46
No i dont have a dongle. we have a bt internet router in the lounge :)

Podshell
30-01-12, 20:50
The man I bought my laptop off said not to use them on your lap as they can burn out, as the air vents are underneath that take away heat from the comp, also check if all the legs are still on if you have it n a flat surface so there is a gap for the hot air to escape.