PDA

View Full Version : Hi new member Jennifer

Jenveale
27-01-12, 15:35
Hi everyone,

I'm Jennifer a single mum of 3 kids ages 17, 13 and 11. The 11 year old has ADHD and ODD and genetic link is myself.

Around 10 years ago I started on Venlaflaxine after loosing my dad and stayed on that drug till recently. Anytime I wasn't coping the doctor upped the dose. Two years ago I had a breakdown and it was put up to 225mg and my mum had to take the kids for me.

Last Jan I decided it was time to come off the drug as had been on it so long and felt good. Plus I was sleeping a huge amount and unable to wake up and so therefore not get my son to school. This was a long time problem that just seemed to get worse. Perhaps in line with each dose uppage??

By August I was down to 75mg and the sleeping problem seemed resolved and so the doc and I decided to go to 37.5mg and see how I coped on that. I did fine till just before xmas and had a complete mental breakdown. Doc upped me to 75mg again, but now anxiety kicked in with suicide thoughts, numb arms, can't breathe, crying hysterically. So I was told these will pass but given Diazepam to cope through xmas and new year. Things just got worse and I went out in the car one night to find a wall to drive into.

When the doctors opened back up it was decided to take me off venlflaxine and do a cross over with citalopram. So a week down at 37.5mg then adding in 10mg of citalopram.

Now off the venlafaxine and on 20mg citalopram plus 2 to 3 5mg diazepam a day. Mornings I can't do anything, I really struggled and suicide thoughts were a battle. By late afternoon I felt more in control and able to do normal daily things. I rang the doctor yesterday and asked if perhaps taking the citalopram in the evening might be better for me because I was also waking really early in the morning and unable to go back to sleep as i felt like coil unable to relax again. So she said could try it and I did last night. Have struggled all day (maybe just a bad day) but now the familar morning tears and horrible thoughts and the feeling of not coping is appearing, so now I may have just reversed the time instead. Next dose is due at 7pm and had 3 diazepam today already.

I feel so lost and with no control over anything. Everyone says you will get there and it'll be better. just hard to believe just now.

I see psychiatrist on weds to see if I have adult ADHD or something else. As before the meltdown I didn't feel depressed, but had had a stressful year and thought things were finally going right for me.

I'd do anything to feel normal and in control again.

nomorepanic
27-01-12, 15:38
Hi Jenveale

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Stormsky
27-01-12, 15:49
hi and welcome
i dont have any experience of the meds your on, but there will be lots of people that can advise you if they had any probs with those particular meds.
I stopped taking meds 5 months ago, theyre not for me personally.
You will get better, youve done it before, your just having a bad patch, and im sure getting used to change in meds doesnt help to start with....xx

Sophie123
27-01-12, 16:46
Hi Jennifer, sorry to hear that you have suffered so much. I am on cit at the moment and I have to say that I have only been on it 2 weeks and I have really struggled with it. Racing thoughts, bad panic attacks and it is horrible. I am beginning to come out of that now and I have taken these before and know that they work but unfortunately it will take 4-6 weeks to feel the benfit of them.

Try and stick with them but if your feeling that bad then go back to your gp. I have also found NHS Direct really helpful to get me through the difficult times. NMP has been a God send and you can always come on here when you need reassurance. It is a relieve to know that we are not alone in this fight against anxiety/depression.

Stick with it Jennifer.

Sophie x

Jenveale
28-01-12, 12:44
Thanks for the replies.

Another hard day, thinking the night time dose not the best idea so will go back to morning dose tomorrow. x

sickandtired
28-01-12, 13:39
i took mine at night and had awful insomnia....barely 3 hrs a night.......now back to taking fluoxetine in the morning and Nytol at night.....am sleeping much better and my meds are finally working
hope things get better for soon xxx

oh no_1
28-01-12, 13:54
I was on cit and after couple of months felt super supoer fantastic! Just to give you all a vote of confidence..... i felt a different me, happy, energetic, full of excitment for each day!

lildeb81
28-01-12, 14:00
Hey Jen, im new here too. Hope to be able to chat and make each other feel a little better :) hugs

Veronica H
28-01-12, 18:13
:welcome:to NMP. . You will find comfort and support here.
Vx

Carys
28-01-12, 18:32
Hi Jen, just wanted to say that I am sorry you are suffering so badly at the moment. I don't really have anything helpful to add, just to say 'hang on in there', things won't always be this way !! :D

swanlinnet
28-01-12, 19:42
Jennifer; if you can get a good nights' sleep and keep busy in the day, then that is sometimes a winning formula. Even a nap in the afternoon too.

The fact is when human beings are in the pit of depsair it seems it will last forever. Of course it doesn't and at the same time if you think a medication is not for you then tell that doctor. They are paid well for what they do and that is why it is always possible to see a GP if you feel the medication isn't hitting the mark.

You would be surprised just how many people there are who slip into what is called "breakdown.' The good news, however, is there are some wonderful audio C.D's and books which are so, so, valuable.

Claire Weeks is an author who has made audio C.D's of her work. I cannot over-emphasise just how useful she is. Her C.D's give clear instructions on just what is happening and how we re-discover freedom from our anxiety/depression. Her CD's are really, really effective and so soothing for a person who is searching for answers to listen to.

Vince:)