PDA

View Full Version : Anybody master the art of Relaxation?

J0sHi
27-01-12, 19:59
Im pretty desperate for some tips on turning off. Can anybody actually relax or meditate at will?

Im depserate for some tips teqniques Ive had a litte CBT buT Im useless with it.

Any advise

Piece

Stormsky
27-01-12, 20:10
I did autogenic training (referrell through GP about 20yrs ago now) -
its a way to put yourself in the trance like state, same state as just before you would fall asleep..
I still use it now at bedtime.. works everytime...never failed me...
I know this doesnt help you in the immediate sense, but perhaps find out if its something you can go on.. or look it up on google..

swanlinnet
27-01-12, 22:06
Hiya Joshi

Hope you are well.

Yes it is possible to meditate at will.

However, you need to know what meditation is first.

Most people think meditation is a state where their mind becomes virtually empty. And this is the mistake most people characteristically make when think of what meditation is.

First of all, every-single, rational person on the planet meditates.

A bank robber, for example, first meditates before he robs a bank. He sees the bank, he thinks about what he will do once he gets inside etc. He does not just rob the bank on impulse .....he first meditates.

One problem is meditation has become bound up with all kinds of mystical disciplines that when people want to meditate they imagine they must first undergo a course in yoga and the like.

Since all of us meditate in the first place, the second problem is we have got so used to meditating on the wrong things that we really do seek to make our minds blank.

Words kindle within our imagination that, in turn, set in motion the will to meditate.

Whether it is an unkind remark from somebody or a funny story, words will nearly always set in motion meditation.

And so I should say if you want to revitalise your imagination ...if, that is, ... you have been ruminating over some pressing problem or somebody has said something to upset you, then seek out a phrases' of goodness that remedy ill-will.

One timeless phrase I use is : "Do to others' as you would wish to be treated yourself".

Hope this helps.

Vince:)

J0sHi
04-02-12, 00:26
Thanks really helpful replies, autogenic training thats progressive relaxation right. I know that will work its just hard to get that discipline and having the patience.

Vince your post's kind of hypnotic :)
When you think about it, it should be easy to forget or disregard things that burden your mind but in practice its damn hard.

annette1
04-02-12, 02:25
Hi Josh

Meditation is really helpful to make you relax but you need to have some guidance & lots of patience & practice regularly.

I went to a Buddhist meditation group which i found very helpful, learning with others helps you to stick at it until you reach a point of just being able to 'switch of' at will.

Its a very important skill to have when managing anxiety.

Tish
04-02-12, 02:47
I find audio cd's help, just sit/lay and listen to a soft soothing voice lulling you to total relaxation. x

swanlinnet
04-02-12, 02:50
Joshi, Annette is so right. Medication is really helpful. I see so many people who want to be 'medication free'. And that is great, I will say. But it's so important not to burn our bridges where medication is concerned.

As for memory ....especially a bad memory ....is first to get the proverbial second opinion. In other words, don't lean too much on your own understanding for, if you are anything like me you will blame yourself when praise is due and praise yourself when you are blameworthy :)

But in the case of a bad memory it is so important to see the reason why we shrink from contemplating it. The culprit is usually our imagination ...though not always.

Like I said, a 'second opinion' .... if we can muster the courage and honesty to talk is a must. But above all we must be very selective who we choose and not just some would-be counsellor who sits cross-legged nodding their head after doing a course at college. There are many wise people in the world. "Seek and you shall find ":)

Vince:)

---------- Post added at 02:50 ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 ----------

Audio C.D's are brilliant Tish.

At the moment I'm listening to Thomas Merton ...he really is so inspiring and wise and very funny

blue moon
10-04-12, 05:42
I do most of the above,but have husband that is doctor to help myself to get back on track to reality,i really like too sit on beach and drift off,there is something calming about the ocean for me......Petra x:)