PDA

View Full Version : intrusive thoughts

anon475
27-01-12, 20:24
why do negative thoughts and bad thought patterns seem to just manifest in my mind on their own. Suddenly I find myself going over events in my head, or worrying about something in an obsessive way, and I ask myself, why? how did I end up thinking about that? And the only answer I can think of is because I cant help it. If I'm not thinking about anything for a few seconds then it just seems to happen on its own.

Does anyone else get this and what do you do about it?

Stormsky
27-01-12, 20:35
If the negative thoughts arent bad enough, we then obsess over 'why am i thinking that' and 'why cant i stop thinking that'... Thoughts come and go all the time, its just we tend to stop and grab one and question why why why did i have that thought,where did it come from..... The more a thought frightens us, the more it hangs around... the more importance we give it, the more its at the front of our mind... and because we worry 'why' all the time, a thought that should just pass through , ends up sticking....You cant stop random thoughts, sometimes they are not nice ones, scary even... it tends to be those scarier ones that we grab and question... you have to try and just see them as thoughts and nothing more, and let them go... dont fight to get rid of a specific thought though, as fighting it will bring it back more... accept the thought, rationalise with it, and let it go... and try distracting yourself, get up and go do something..or think of something nice instead, a nice memory etc....

anon475
27-01-12, 21:58
good advice