PDA

View Full Version : Job confusion....

Harribo
28-01-12, 04:25
I'm twenty years of age and have only just realised what I want to do with my life. After four years of cocaine and other drug abuse, quitting cold turkey and now clean for 7 months I have decided what I want to do. I want to help troubled teens who are either involved with drugs or crime of any sort. I realise drugs and violence are a huge problem in the uk and I want to try to contribute and make a difference to peoples life in one way or another...would anyone know if you can do apprenticeships for this kind of thing or who I would contact? or is it college as I would struggle to pay my rent if it is...thanks in advance :)

-Harry.

CONS
28-01-12, 08:59
Search courses in social work, look at foundation courses at college with BTEC levels,

good for you,

all the best

Harribo
28-01-12, 14:34
All the courses I seem to find you need gcses for and I was living abroad and going to school so did not do them....and cannot find any courses without them so far :/

Carys
28-01-12, 16:26
Do they have good old fashioned careers guidance people around any more ? Probably not :shrug: I'm trying to think where you might go for advice on your chosen future career, and the relevant roles in the field, but nothing springs to mind.....it might be that it is suggested to you that you consider taking some GCSEs as an adult learner in the evening. Would you consider that ?

BTW fantastic choice of vocation !!!!

Harribo
28-01-12, 17:11
Yes I would do my gcse aslong as I can do it at night as I am looking for full time work at the moment with no such luck. Thanks just don't want to look back and regret not doing it if I had the chance. Still young so I want to try to better myself and make a difference to others :/

Carys
28-01-12, 18:20
Still young so I want to try to better myself and make a difference to others

...and I'm sure you can and will !!!! :D Finding a positive purpose, from a negative experience, can make for strong motivation and a huge life change. Good for you.

Gemma86
28-01-12, 18:35
Hi Harribo,

I'm 25 and for a long time I didn't know what I wanted to do. I tried different college courses which in the end didn't make me happy, I tried full time work and voluntary work. I guess I eliminated a lot of options by trying all sorts of things, I worked within the nhs and thought one day I may want to become a nurse but deep down that wasn't really what I wanted either. I decided I wanted to do something art based so have just spent two years studying part time to get the correct qualifications to get me to uni. I think anything is possible and now you've found a passion your well and truly onto the right track :) Well done for getting through all you have!
Maybe looking into something voluntary within your area of interest it might gain you some experience and make you realise even more that that is what you want. Once you work with like minded people just think about all the doors that could open for your future!
Good luck and go for it! :D

Harribo
28-01-12, 20:36
Yes I would love to do some voluntering work only in the field substance abuse and crime as I have so much life experience and I got on the right path. Its weird because I was lieing in bed last night and it just hit me that is my purpose it sounds so pathetic but it was like someone was telling me to do it and I actually really want to do it iv been looking for courses all day :/

Carys
28-01-12, 20:50
it just hit me that is my purpose

NO, it isn't pathetic.....it is what is called an ephiphany moment, or revelation or whatever you want to call it !

I get just where you are coming from, I had a similar realisation about what I felt was my purpose many years ago after coming through the darkest period in my life. It was life-changing and (I believe, as people have told me so) turned me around.

It was as if all the suffering had been 'for' something, as if positive could come directly from the negative, a silver lining etc. etc. (wow I'm full of similies and metaphors tonight :winks:) It is a great feeling to have; you feel full of purpose and strength. I did something very different to you; involving at first those who had learning disabilities and then for the following 8 years those with severe physical disabilities.

To find your 'purpose', or whatever you want to call it, is so very important and I am pleased for you that you feel you have found it. :D

Harribo
28-01-12, 21:40
How did you get into it? Did you go to college or uni? I'm struggling to find a route to get my foot in the door :(

Carys
28-01-12, 21:45
Well, I had gone to university,yes, but that isn't the only way to find your way into various fields of work. You will need to work your way up from junior roles in the field you are interested in - if you aren't able to study for qualifications. Could you ask at Citizens advice, if there is any agency that can give you career advice ?

Harribo
28-01-12, 22:02
There is a conextions near me? I don't know if they will be able to help? I don't mind starting from the bottom we all have to start somewhere :)

Carys
29-01-12, 06:54
Connextions !!! Yes, thats it, I knew there was something. Contact them, I'm sure they would point you in the right direction.