PDA

View Full Version : Feeling quite anxious about today

Wuboo
28-01-12, 09:10
I'm going round my mums for the weekend today and quite anxious when usually it's one of my "safe places" apart from my house. I think it might be because I've stayed there when I have been at my worse so some of the old feelings are coming back thinking about it.

theharvestmouse
28-01-12, 10:47
Sometimes going to a place that brings up old feelings can trigger the anxiety. But you have to create a new memory of being safe and well there.

sickandtired
28-01-12, 11:28
this sounds so familiar......
at the height of my anxiety i had 2 big panic attacks at 2 of my close friends houses and i became scared of visiting them,or even them visiting me....it didnt make sense? why would i feel this way at a friends whom ive known for over 25 years?....
then one day when i thought i really was out of control and perhaps starting with agrophobia....(my panic attacks were happening in shops and even in the car now) id planned to go to my friends and became really distressed about going.i was in and out my front door like some idiot,changing my mind again and again.....
i then shouted at myself..."you can do this...she,s your friend...if you have a panic attack....so what? she,s not going to laugh at you!!! she,s your friend!!"
I forced myself to go.....i was fine.....we went to town shopping ,had a brew and a laugh.....i was fine!!! that is half the battle....convincing yourself everything will be ok

llimona
28-01-12, 11:42
I have experienced this too, I will always associate places/food/smells with bad feelings and then avoid them. I have been trying hard to 'reclaim' some of my favourite foods and smells recently that I have been avoiding.

I agree with what theharvestmouse said- create new positive memories there.