PDA

View Full Version : My Panic Attacks have returned!

Adywhu
28-01-12, 10:08
Hi all,

I started getting panic attacks 12 years ago, really bad debilitating attacks that would last for sometimes days, sometimes weeks, sometimes just a few hours.
I was prescribed various medicines, eventually Cipramil seemed to work best for me. My worst period lasted 3-4 years until I stopped medication and I then seemed to recovered, in the end I think I became sick to death of suffering them and seemed to overcome the worst of it.
I have suffered from time to time over the last 8 years but never as intense as my worst periods, and have been able to almost shrug them off. However I have noticed in the last 6 months they have reared up again more regularly and are getting worse, at present I am suffering with one that started yesterday afternoon, it started with the usual chest pain followed by fear and anxiety, I don't have any medication so a few large reds seemed to take the edge of it, however as we all know that is a temporary measure and sure enough at 5am I woke with my heart jumping out of my chest, which it still is now!
I have a wonderful family, 3 fantastic kids, and a very good job, I am terrified to go back to how it first was, and I do not really want to take medication regularly, my doctor did prescribe me Valium in those early days and even on my worst attacks I never resorted to them, however I feel they might be right for me now!
I am aware of St Johns Wort but wondered if anyone had any other suggestions? My sleeping pattern is awful, always has been which is a major contribution, so any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry for a rambling first post, but it has helped to calm me a little as I lie here!

nomorepanic
28-01-12, 10:11
Hi Adywhu

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

CONS
28-01-12, 11:41
You beat it before so beat it again, nothing new is happening here, change your mind-set and dont allow it to happen, if it does just ride it out and think positive thoughts.

Good luck

Kendra
28-01-12, 11:47
Hi Adywhu,

Welcome to NMP, i'm a fairly new member but the everyone have been so lovely and helpful.

Your story sounds similar to my own.

I read on here about magnesium and vit b re-searched on the internet and thought why not it won't kill me!!! I have been taking them a week tomorrow and I have felt quite good for nearly a week. Don't know if it is that or wether it would have happended anyway. I was sick of doc trying to give me anti depressents as I didn't feel depressed just fed up with feeling anxious and panicky all the time. Went on prozac but couldnt handle the side effects and came off after 7 days.

I am also waiting for some talk therapy of some kind. Not sure which they will recommend as having seen them yet.

I make 250mg of magnesium on a night after tea as it can help you sleep better. My sleep is not 100% but it has improved alot. I take vit B on a morning with my breakfast.

Its nice to feel more normal and want to be with my family and little boy!!!!! I had a terrible 2 weeks not eating, sleeping, crying not getting out of bed!! Its so horrible to feel like that and when you haven't been through it its hard for people to understand!!.

I have also changed my diet slightly too. Eating healthy and drinking herbal tea etc. I'm a tea o holic but still have the odd cup!!!

Hope your feeling better soon!!

Kendra x

Veronica H
28-01-12, 18:19
:welcome:to NMP. Glad that you have found us.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES published by Thorsens ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough.( It is a bit old fashioned, but still so relevant).
Here is a link to her site;
http://www.claireweekes.com.au/ (http://www.claireweekes.com.au/)

This will get better. Veronicax