PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety about safety of people I don't even know & animals.

theharvestmouse
28-01-12, 10:51
I just saw something when I was out driving and it made me realise that as well as my own anxiety/ social anxiety I also am anxious about other things.

I saw a man on a bicycle with 2 dogs on lead running along at the side of him, the road was quite busy and it made me feel anxious that something might happen to him or the dogs. I thought about what if one of his dogs gets run over, and it made me want to cry. Its ridiculous.

I also get very emotional about animals, when I read stories in the news about animals being neglected or mistreated it makes me feel very sad and often I feel like I want to cry. I also feel anxious about all the abandoned dogs at the dogs home.

I suppose I am a very sensitive person and I might just feel like this regardless of the anxiety.:unsure:

sickandtired
28-01-12, 11:21
i am the same about people and animals.......if i see very young children playing out...i think.."theyre far too young to be out without a parent"
im forever helping young kids find their parents in shopping centres,when theyre crying and panicking.....i actually cry for them ...its almost as though i can feel their pain and anx
and i once saw a man really shouting nastily at his dog and had this vision of him kicking it.....i wanted to smack him in the face and tell him he wasnt fit to have pets!!
i just cannot watch the NSPCC or RSPCA adverts on TV as im in floods of tears
why is there so much cruelty in the world.......I even have imagined this....would if i die before my children have their own children and i cant protect them....????
it sounds so ridiculous

robinbrum
28-01-12, 12:07
Your sensitivity is a good thing and it shows you have compassion for all living beings, whether they be humans or animals. You would be poorer for it as a human being if you did not have it. Trick is to get the balance right and not reflect too much on your own self. I think we tend to project our emotions onto other people and things sometimes. When I see those adverts on TV for poor, neglected children or abandoned dogs staring at you with their big helpless eys, I turn to mush inside inside and really find it quite distressing. If I am with someone I never show much emotion but inside it really churns me up.
Yeah this sensitivity can be difficult to handle at times, it can take over your life if you let it. If you're depressed or anxious these feelings are always heightened.
Still, I'd rather have it than not:)

crystal17
28-01-12, 12:58
If you're a naturally caring person, then you WILL worry about others and it will touch your heart if you see something that could cause harm to others, it just means that you care about your fellow humans and dont want them to suffer.
As for being upset when you hear about harm coming to animals/children, well you'd have to have a heart made of stone to not get distressed about that kind of stuff.

You are sensitive as you said, and thats a good thing, embrace it!

pinkdove
28-01-12, 15:30
Hi i am the same worry about everything, and everybody and animals too.

i find some of the ad's on telly hard to watch too, i get anxious about any cruelty of any kind.......maybe just the way we are made.

I found it harder when i was first ill, could only watch very light hearted telly, but things are better now x

Carys
28-01-12, 16:35
As has been said above, it is a lovely sensitive way to be...and unless it takes you over in a way that stops you functioning...why not look upon it as a positive, part of your personality, that you have so much empathy and care so much. In these modern times, when many people are so unshockable and unaffected by awful events around them, it is a refreshing change for people have feelings about people and animals.

I often feel similar things, for example, It stresses me when I see dogs not on leads, as I can't bear the though of some harm coming to them....I have been reduced to hysterics about a lizard and a pigeon being run over and it took days to get over. Any cruelty, to people or animals makes me feel dreadful. I have lost count of the dogs I have taken to the local vet to have their owners traced, wild birds and animals I have picked up and tried to keep alive.

Saying that, I do think you are somewhat sensitive due to your anxiety levels and it is making you a little over-emotional and worried. As someone else said above - heightening your reactions to things.