PDA

View Full Version : no appetite and not hungry in slightest

chelley27
28-01-12, 13:41
Have been feeling like im eating about a quarter of what i should be for the last week or two. thing is i can skip breakfast skip dinner and not really feel hungry at tea either. surely this isnt normal?
im currently on sick for GAD.

Anyone else had this ? x

sickandtired
28-01-12, 13:45
yes...... its all to do with your anxiety.i also had diarroea for weeks and when i went on AD,s it got worse....i lost a stone in just a few weeks.....but now the meds have kicked in,im eating well,the runs have stopped and im sleeping better....my anx is finally calming down after a rocky few months
try and eat little and often

chelley27
28-01-12, 14:01
Thanks, docs keep telling me i have all these symptoms like the pains in my head the pressure in my head the cold sensation in my mouth and the not eating all related to my anxiety but he hasnt given me any medication, how do i lessen the symptoms without medication, im getting anxious now about being anxious its so frustrating :-( x

mmb
28-01-12, 14:24
Hi Chelley,
Has your doctor offered you any talking therapy? CBT or counselling? You can ask him for something to help you out... x

sickandtired
28-01-12, 14:27
aw you poor thing,ive been where you are and its just horrible......
right....i,ll tell you a little list of my experience & what i tried,but i,ll be honest with you.....when you,re anxious about being anxious.....its my opinion that youre past the 'self help' stage and meds might just be the better option.....only you can decide whats best for you.I do find that getting out of the house and trying to carry on as normal will help....but if something you know has triggered your anxiety then it might be hard to just carry on and help yourself without meds.......you need to get to the root of your worrying.....has your doctor offered any cbt or councelling?

I started with panic attacks a few years ago....
my friend lent me a relaxation CD and a self help book....which i immediatly read (anything by susan jeffers or clair weeks)
i also (wrongly) avoided the people and places where i was most likely to have a PA .......this seemed to work but caused me immense guilt as i was avoiding a dear friend,because i was scared of her husband
eventually my anxiety calmed down,BUT it has always been there waiting.....
Last year the panic attacks and anxiety came back....alot worse than before and i even believe i was becoming agrophobic....some days...i couldnt go anywhere and i was becoming increasingly jumpy and struggled to sleep,my mind constantly racing with worrying thoughts,i developed terrible insomnia
Again I tried relaxation and reading.....another friend also recommended listening to this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9ytcwBgJNE
i tried...i really tried.....
but things just got too much for me and i became depressed and cried alot,scared of my own shadow......i eventually ended up at my docs in such a mess,i was convinced i was having some sort of breakdown.
He tried me on beta blockers first...alas....they didnt work and back i went to the docs again a few weeks later....in tears
i was given fluoxetine.....and this was the really rocky stage......for me....this was one of the hardest 2-3 weeks of my life,i suffered terrible with side effects and really struggled.......but by coming on this site and chatting to some lovely people,i was helped through this .......support is very important
im not completely cured....but now my meds have kicked in and ive been resting,sleeping loads,and generally just giving myself a break.......i feel much better than i did a month ago.Im awaiting cbt ,councelling and EFT and feel positive for the future

chelley27
28-01-12, 14:33
hi, yes i have counselling sessions for CBT and have been refered to my local mental health clinic. will my counselling lessen the anxiety symptoms? thanks xx

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

thanks sickandtired, i hear what you are saying, the reason my docs have not put me on meds is because one of my anxieties is from side affects of medicines im paranoid the worst will happen and my airways will close up and il die, i know its worst case scenario but thats part of my problems and worries. so he said the CBT would benefit me more than medication.

i find im affraid of my own shadow at the moment i am jumping at such silly things like the letterbox flapping or the phone ringing, its stupid. why the hell do i feel like this, what is wrong me with.:weep:

there are some really lovely people on here and i find this helps me relax, i also love listening to greek music, its very theroputic(cant spell) but still my anxiety symptoms remain. what if its not anxiety and the time im being told it is anxiety could be time to make me better if i am severely ill. xx

sickandtired
28-01-12, 14:38
i cant say ............ I had meds first and have only just met with my phsycological wellbeing practitioner on tuesday for an assessment
i just feel now the meds have helped me calm down,i am able to talk more freely about my worries......it was upsetting,but i did feel some release...then anger....then calm again.....

---------- Post added at 14:38 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

oh thats different then.....you have health anxiety by the sound of things....
im always popping pills....so long as they do the job...i dont care,but i understand your worries about taking tablets......you can have AD,s in liquid form you know?
im not trying to push them on you,im just saying they're helping me......and maybe they,d help you?

chelley27
28-01-12, 14:45
Yes i think i have health anxiety aswell as GAD. on my sick note my doctor put anxiety states so i assume this means i have more than one? i didnt know there was more than one before visiting this site. its so full of helpful advice and people.
i didnt realise you could get them in liquid form no. do you still get side affects though? did your anxiety appear out of no where with no explanation of why you are feeling it? i dont know whats caused mine at all xx

sickandtired
28-01-12, 14:49
stress can cause you to worry alot.....but it gets out of control and becomes obsession....have there been any recent bereavements ? or upsetting incidents?

chelley27
28-01-12, 14:58
other than my friend of 8 yrs telling me he wants nothing to do with me no more, nope cant think of anything really. and i was feeling all these symptoms before that anyway so im not convinced he is the cause but he certainly didnt help my situation ;-( xx

sickandtired
28-01-12, 14:59
you wanna go on chat for a bit?

cathycrumble
28-01-12, 16:09
How long you been on prozac for now sickandtired just wandering?

Cathy xx

sickandtired
28-01-12, 16:35
i started on 6th dec so nearly 8 weeks.....
how are you doing cathy? been thinking about you x

cathycrumble
28-01-12, 16:41
24 days now and not feeling great but just keeping on at it for now.

Cathy xx

sickandtired
28-01-12, 16:42
not even a slight improvement?

chelley27
28-01-12, 17:38
hiya, sorry where is chat? didnt know we had one. was away from laptop so didnt see your post hun xx

sickandtired
28-01-12, 17:41
its at the top...click 'chat room' its sometimes busy but you can try the 'help' room for a more private chat
unfortunately im going to my friends now....but i,ll be on tomorrow
take care xxxx

chelley27
28-01-12, 17:43
ah right i didnt know that thanks.. ok il speak to you tomorrow. take care xxx

kittikat
28-01-12, 17:49
Yes i think i have health anxiety aswell as GAD. on my sick note my doctor put anxiety states so i assume this means i have more than one? i didnt know there was more than one before visiting this site. its so full of helpful advice and people.

General anxiety can give lots of different symptoms....anxiety, panic, OCD, HA, depression, phobias etc, etc. The mind is very powerful at protecting us and we all have different forms of mental health. Is not unusual to have several problems at once...all stem from anxiety I believe. My sicknotes always said 'severe anxiety' but encompassed lots of other problems such as agoraphobia and social anxiety.

I also had the no appetite thing and barely ate anything the first few weeks I was signed off work.

Look after yourself and you will get there, it may be a slow process so just go with the flow for now. xx

morning_blues
28-01-12, 17:52
chelley see if you can try some Complan sachets or Build Up just to keep you ticking over - probably 2 sachets a day. You make it up into a milkshake or soup - I normally manage to keep it down even if nothing else is staying down! you can get them from Boots or Tescos. I lost a lot of weight very quickly, and that just made me even more anxious! vicious circle...
I tried to avoid meds but after 2 months it was so disruptive to my life I had to start citalopram - am now back on track, and I've done a form of CBT (behaviour activation therapy) through the NHS iTalk and see a counsellor too. It all helps and works together really well. Good luck!

mabel
28-01-12, 18:31
:hugs:

Lack of appetite is horrible. I'm not hungry at all at the moment. I don't eat until the evening and then its a real struggle.

Meds do help.

Sorry i'm not more use. But wanted to let you know there are lots of other people going through it.

:hugs:

Mabel

chelley27
28-01-12, 19:30
chelley see if you can try some Complan sachets or Build Up just to keep you ticking over - probably 2 sachets a day. You make it up into a milkshake or soup - I normally manage to keep it down even if nothing else is staying down! you can get them from Boots or Tescos. I lost a lot of weight very quickly, and that just made me even more anxious! vicious circle...
I tried to avoid meds but after 2 months it was so disruptive to my life I had to start citalopram - am now back on track, and I've done a form of CBT (behaviour activation therapy) through the NHS iTalk and see a counsellor too. It all helps and works together really well. Good luck!

Hiya thank you someone else mentioned these complan, what are they i cant say i have heard of them at all. do they have any artificial things in them i suffer with msg intollerance and all atificial ingredients react with me:-( i am having cbt and have been referred to a local mental health clinic:-(
xx

clc
28-01-12, 20:24
Hi Shelley. Mine got bad due to anxiety, worse when starting meds but now it's back and it's great! What's good I because I lost so much weight (already brin underweight) I can eat loads and not feel guilty! Literally mine has come back in the last week. That was a month into meds 20mg citalopram.

chelley27
28-01-12, 20:34
wish mine would come back, when i do eat a little something my stomach is telling me am full when im not at all or just "i dont want it" :-( well done with getting your appetite back xx

morning_blues
29-01-12, 09:06
Oh I'm not sure - here's the ingredients list for the chocolate one for example...

http://www.complanfoods.com/nutrition_complan_chocolate.php

Wuboo
29-01-12, 10:18
I try and make myself eat something, usually an apple and banana, I think my body is starting to get used to eating again as I am eating lunch and dinner now, try to feed your body some foods like soup and easy to eat foods and within a few days or a week your body should start wanting the food again.