PDA

View Full Version : Social Anxiety Suffering

Nic31
29-01-12, 11:33
Hi I am a 31 year old female lives in Lincoln. I have suffered from social anxiety most of my life and it can be very lonely feeling like noone really understands you. I would love to meet people with similar problems if anyone is interested?

nomorepanic
29-01-12, 11:35
Hi Nic31

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

robinbrum
29-01-12, 11:42
Hi Nic, welcome on board:welcome:

Nic31
29-01-12, 19:07
Thank you for your responses x

paulypaul40
30-01-12, 10:50
hi im paul what is that i never heard of it ....

tisa
08-02-12, 21:07
Hi Nic31
I'm 35 and I too suffer with social anxiety and have done since my late teens, early twenties. It can be very lonely and it makes me feel abnormal. Everyone around me; friends, family etc seem so confident and I find it frustrating that I find social events so difficult. Rather than look forward to a social event I often dread them and sometimes avoid them if I can which I know only makes it worse. I'm currently taking 40mg of citalopram which I don't feel at the moment is really helping me. Maybe I've become immune to it as I've been on it since 2006. Do you mind me asking if you take any medication to control your anxiety?
Karen

ema-1
09-02-12, 06:35
hello,
i have the same problem with people, i did'nt understand at first, i just though everybody didnt like me, but it was me, mind reading and because i have low selfesteam i think everyone thinks i'm stupid. or uninteresting. i seem to have inherited this from my mum.
i am getting help with this and will be starting cbt in 4 weeks.
i have pushed everyone away know one speaks to me in the playground when i am picking my little girl up from school and it is my fault because i have become so withdrawn from people.
sorry about the poor spelling i cant spell very well and my spell check is'nt working.

tisa
12-02-12, 22:09
Hi ema-1. I've had cbt sessions in the past. They did help me, I hope it goes well for u. I too have a little girl, she's only recently started playgroup but I worry about when she starts school if I'll be able to chat and make friends with the other mums or will being socially anxious hold me back. Do u mind me asking if u take any medication to control your anxiety? I take 40mg of Citalopram

Social in Sydney
13-02-12, 10:38
Hi Nic, I too suffer as you do. I'm 39 and I became aware of it when I was 15. Boy, social anxiety does make you feel so lonely and I've oftened wondered why bother when humans are social animals and I struggle to be social. But, social anxiety is not madness. Master CBT and you'll start experiencing relief. And the more relief you experience, the more hope there is that the next 20 years are going to be far better than the past. I hope this helps. You're in good company here, I'm new but get a sense there's a good community here. ; )