PDA

View Full Version : Doctors appointment nerves

llimona
29-01-12, 14:54
Hi everyone,

I am just feeling a bit hopeless today. My anxiety is up and down but has been getting steadily worse over the last few months. I have got to a point where it seems to be taking over my life.

I have mentioned it once or twice before, to my boyfriend or to family members and their reaction has always been that I'm getting myself worked up, and they don't understand. This makes me feel bad and really embarrassed, like I have no right to feel how I am feeling. I know there are no obvious reasons but I can't help feeling like this.

I have finally decided I need to get some proper help/advice, and have a doctors appointment tomorrow, and then I am going to see my personal tutor (I am in my final year of University).

The issue now is that I've got to a point where I don't feel I can tell anyone because I am scared they will laugh, or tell me I shouldn't be feeling like this or just dismiss it. I am considering cancelling my doctors appointment but I really don't want to live like this anymore.

I'm not really sure what I'm after, advice or opinions or anything, I am just getting more and more nevrous about this doctors appointment and wanted to tell someone about it.

Stormsky
29-01-12, 15:03
Dont be anxious and dont cancel it... Doctors see people daily now with anxiety/panic/depression... They are alot better advised now than they were 10yrs ago when i first went !... go for a chat, they will do most of the question asking, and then decide on a course of action for you....xx

dan1234
29-01-12, 15:04
Don't cancel the Doctors appointment. It is the best thing you can do! You are doing all the right things, speak to your Doctor and Tutor and get the help you really need.

If you leave it and wait, it will get no better and possibly even worse. Therapy / meds can all help.

I would urge you to go to the Doctor, maybe read up what they will offer you such as SSRI's or CBT and at least you will know what you want!

LAURA48
29-01-12, 15:05
Hi - sometimes this is the hardest part - making an appointment. Go and see your GP - he will not laugh, believe me, it is a common problem - you are halfway there now - Good Luck Laura