PDA

View Full Version : Venlafaxine Somnolence - HELP!

delkona
29-01-12, 23:22
Can anyone else tell me if they, or someone they know, has had a similar experience with venlafaxine, please!

Long story short: I've been on venlafaxine for about 18 months and am now trying to withdraw from it cause I hated the side effects and didn't actually need to be on it any longer. But one of the most major side effects has been that of somnolence - I literally can't seem to stop sleeping! Despite the horror stories I have heard, I'm having no problem withdrawing so far and have now gone from 150mg to 75mg and each time I step down, the somnolence seems to reduce, but then soon enough comes straight back in again.

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't get off to sleep too well at night (regardless of whether i've slept or not during the day, in fact) but am a complete goner during the day - i can quite easily sleep until 4pm and really, it's no fun - I have a life I want to be living!

I do also have CFS/ME (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) but jesus, I'm not normally as bad as this! I'm 99% SURE it's the medication - could I be right here, or not? Any thoughts?!

Would appreciate any advice/support!

robinbrum
30-01-12, 00:15
I had exactly the same thing on venlafaxine, I was on it for about 5 months and it made me so tired I don't know how I managed to get though the day. It took a good 4 weeks before I was free of its "hangover" so best of luck to you.

delkona
30-01-12, 14:44
Hey thanks for the response!

The only curious thing to me, is that it wasn't until I'd been on it for about 18 months that the somnolence kicked in. I mean, I've had various side effects come and go with venlafaxine, but it does seem a strange time for a side effect to start.

Thanks for the advice tho!