PDA

View Full Version : unstable blood sugar levels

PinkRoxy
30-01-12, 04:12
I am worrying that my blood sugar levels are very unstable right now I cant keep them right. I am getting hungry and shakey very quickly and my heart races and stuff after eating sugar. I am trying to cut out on sugar but it makes it worse. I am fearing diabetes even though I am not thirsty I can go a whole day without drinking much at all and I dont pee alot.

My bladder often plays up but when I get frequency my bladder doesnt pee much only a teaspoon if Im luky so its not like my bladder gets full alot that I need to go it just feels full but its actually not its only cos I have bladder pain.

Anyway I am so scared that I dont even want to get tested, I get tested every year out of the norm of blood tests and my last one was just over a year ago and it came back fine and so Im hoping that it is still that.

I dont know what to do because Ive always had a little problem with my blood sugar levels but it seems to be quite bad lately. I am getting myself in a panic over it because I dont know what is causing me to feel shakey and really hungry alot.

Also my IBS has gotten worse I get a dull ache pain in my lower back and can be very uncomfortable that I have to wrap myself up in my blanket or put some heat on that area and it comes into my knees too.

It reminds me kind of of period pain but it comes when I am not even due for it and Im on the contraceptive pill. I have been getting a lot of loosish stools diahrroea lately like a bowel attack and I do still eat healthyish too. I never use to get that but lately I have.

This is driving me insane because I dont know what is wrong with me and I feel so scared when it gets worse that it makes me cry.

Does anyone else know what it could possibly be?

swgrl09
30-01-12, 04:30
Do you have a hyperactive thyroid? My mom had that, and she said that her main symptom was feeling shaky often ... and then they just gave her medicine and it was fine. Have you changed your eating habits at all?

You won't feel better unless you get tested, whether they tell you "Oh you're fine!" or they help you to feel better. I don't know much about diabetes, but I do get similar pains in the lower back that feel like period cramps but aren't. I'm on the pill too. I guess I assumed it was intestinal, sometimes it worries me, but not enough to see a doctor over ... Anxiety can be causing your loose stools too. When i am anxious, I get that.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help!!

PinkRoxy
30-01-12, 05:39
Thanks for that. I often wonder if it could just be anxiety related but I know even if I am feeling calm the shakiness comes on.
I was also wondering overactive thyroid but when i googled it I wasnt too sure about it.

I notice the back ache and knee ache sometimes is triggered when my bladder is a bit sore but it also can be a result of a bowel attack like irritation.

I do get a yucky tummy often so that is probably something to do with it.

Its just driving me nuts and I know i may have to go and get tests done but I am just worrying myself with it because I just want to figure out what it could be.

Thanks for your reply anyway I much appreciate it.

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------

I am usually quite healthy with what I eat too.

potato11
30-01-12, 13:22
hmm PinkRoxy

From my knowledge, eating things that release sugar quickly can cause your heart to speed up (does mine) but then your body releases a large amount of insulin which quickly makes blood sugar levels drop... leading to the shaky feeling.

The fact that anxiety can sort of send your body a bit haywire energy wise won't help either

Best bet is to eat small amounts regularly, that way you won't be getting such significant fluctuations in blood sugar and a more constant energy supply. Bananas are really good snacks as they are slow energy release. Raisins can be good too as a snack

:)

countrygirl
30-01-12, 19:08
As previous poster says you need to eat often to keep your blood sugar stable and you need some protein and fat with every meal as these take time to be absorbed, never eat pure carbohydate like biscuits or cakes without some protein as well or you get the sugar spikes then the shakes.

You do not have any symptoms of diabetes - if you are young then type 1 diabetes makes you very very ill very quickly and you do not have any of those symptoms and anyone under 35 is very unlikely to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes ( how old are you??)

You say you can go all day without drinking - this will make you seriously dehydrated and the symptoms of this are very similar to anxiety as well, not only that but you could damage your kidneys and bladder long term so try and drink something every hour even if its only a little bit and this will stop you getting bladder pain etc. I am amazed you do not have repeat bladder infections if you drink so little.

Overactive thryoid will be picked up in routine bloods if you make sure they do this test, ring your Drs and ask if you have had a thryoid function test recently and if not then certainly go and ask for one as this is a condition that can take along time to diagnose as its often put down to anxiety. If you have had one done recently then it is not this.

PinkRoxy
31-01-12, 03:04
Thanks. I do try and eat protein with my carbs too. For lunch I usually have an egg sandwich and I eat a variety of nuts too.
I havent had any sort of thyroid tests done I dont think so anyway but I just got the idea of ringing the nurse to have a look.

I did use to drink alot of fluids, green tea, water and other healthy options but last winter it set my bladder unstable I was getting urgency problems and my bladder would contract when it wasnt suppose to which stressed me so now I am on this medication called oxybutynin and to avoid any fear of needing to go in a hurry I now try my hardest to drink as little as possible if Im thirsty I will have a small sip of water.

I am only 26 years old I dont think I have diabetes either though I am just worried that I could have it.

Anyway thanks for your replies I just dont know what is going on butIm going to give the nurse at my doctors office a call. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

I just rung the nurse and I had my thyroid tested and diabetes back in March 2011 and they were fine. So I think I just need to work on my eating habits a bit better. Or it could just be hidden anxiety somewhere.