PDA

View Full Version : private and/or NHS

oh no_1
30-01-12, 09:08
Iv'e been seeing a counsellor since last feb weekly. Taken a long time to open up to her and I do now tell her things openly... after at first been scared to even knock at the door or look at her. Im now trying to go fortnightly. although had a blip as came off meds myself and thought was fine but then wasnt good at all. Im on some other meds now, still on first week of them but other day I got a letter from NHS to go for some sort of therapy, it doesnt say what it is or anything?

Im in dilemma of what to do.... dont want to stop seeing counsellor im seeing although am going to try and go monthly to see her but been told by her and friend that I shouldnt turn down NHS as it rare to get it. Got first app with NHS next Tuesday?

Tips, advice? please help

sallad
30-01-12, 21:45
Hmmm, in Canada so don't know how your system works there but my first reaction is that if you have a good counselor then stick with it. I have had the same one for a long time and I can't imagine going to someone I was not as comfortable with. Good luck.

pinkunicorn
30-01-12, 22:45
You have done so well.... progressed so far. Just think of how much you have opened up to your counsellor,you obviously have connected with her. The work you have done so far with her has been so benificial and you have been so positive. I think it may be to confusing to get another therapist/counsellor. Emotionally,it will be tough and having to open up to 2 people.... that can be very difficult when you have just found someone who you trust. I found myself in the same situation a few months ago. I'm struggling to afford private counselling and got offered more NHS counselling. But,they have messed me around so much,that I'm sticking with private. I trust her and she lets me see her fortnightly if I need to. With the NHS it's time limited and I always found I was just getting into it and it ended....which left me feeling worse!

Good luck... xxx

haz
30-01-12, 23:02
If money isn't a huge issue then I would stick with the counsellor you have. As you said, you have got to know her and are making progress.

As previous poster said, the problem with NHS counselling is the time limit. You only get a certain amount of sessions. I found it to be helpful at the time and I wish I could still go, even if it was only once every couple of months. I was actually telling my psychiatrist this only last week.

Best Wishes.

Haz.x