PDA

View Full Version : Life is tough when panic sets in.

jayork
30-01-12, 10:28
I'm off work at the moment and struggling to regain my composure to return to work, i am aware of the fact that i must return to work for money reasons as i have to support my family, my wife tries to understand but clearly worries about how my sickness may affect my ability to support us, to a point of this in turn affecting my ability to get well! I feel under pressure. Any solutions or advice, or even knowing others have similar problems would help.

sam66
30-01-12, 10:50
Im in the same situation but no family to support but money wise I need to return to work. I have been off for six months now and the very thought of returning scares me silly, but I rarely leave my home these days, just to walk the dog and go to the local shop if need be. I pressure myself to get back to it and find 'normal' again tell myself 'it will do me god to get out of the house' but in reality im just not ready.
Its harder for you as you have a family to support Jay, but you have to put whats right for you first, Im sure your family understand.

Em84
30-01-12, 11:16
Hi

Im kind of in the similar situation, but the other way around. My husbands job requires him to go away alot and i have two children one which is less than a year old....my anxiety has been very bad recently and have had alot of panic attacks over the last few days....He will be taking on another job that will mean he will be away most of the year and he is constantly concerned now about leaving me with the children as thinks i wont be able to cope or will end up in a looney bin as he says.....
I know that he is right in a way...my anxiety seems to be worse when he isnt around....This job means he will get paid more money which we need as we need to get another house, rented or purchased for our family.

Its difficult......

sallad
30-01-12, 21:26
Totally understand! My husband was laid off and now I am the only one making money and yet I am so full of panic it is a miracle I make it to work each day. I don't get sick days/pay so I constantly stress that one day I am just not going to make it. That said, I don't know if this will help or not but sometimes I find work a good distraction. What did you do before? Sometimes by the time I get to my office the phone is ringing and I have email to check and then suddenly hours have passed by. Perhaps, if you can find a job that suits your need for breaks and calm [book store?] you might find going back easier than you expected and perhaps a welcome beak from your mind??

loreen
31-01-12, 11:21
I totally agree with the above. When my anxiety was at its worst I had to take time off,but spent the whole time worrying about going back and letting people down.

I am lucky that work are very understanding,and let me have "time out" when I feel a panic attack coming on,and this means I am able to go back.

It really is true that work can help you clear your mind.I have awful "brain chatter" where I over think everything,and work means I have less time to think!!

Loreen x

sam66
31-01-12, 13:49
Your right loreen, it can act as a disraction,I'm the same and over think everything and where I rarely go out it's alot of time sitting at home thinking and then thinking more! I don't have a very understanding boss tho so I'm not to confident on my ability to cope.

Wuboo
31-01-12, 17:07
How much does your missus understand? Maybe try laying on the line and tell her all about how you feel? Tell her what you would like from her too, good communication is a massive part of a relationship as you probably know.

Your recovery takes as long as it takes but I understand the need for work, I am lucky to get sick pay but I don't know how much yet so we will see on Thursday! Have you thought about a phased return to work?