PDA

View Full Version : Coming off citalopram

JulesD
30-01-12, 10:31
Morning I was wondering if I could have some reassurance, I am tapering off cit, I went from 20mg to 15mg in July, and felt fine, two weeks ago I went from 15mg to 10mg and I feel horrible, jittery, tearful, very aggressive, muscle aches, tummy aches. Is this normal will it pass. I have booked in for some acupuncture tomorrow to try and ease the symptoms, I just want to come off the medication as it has been 4 years. I don't want to go back on them .

pinkdove
30-01-12, 10:49
Hi Jules, yes i have done the same as you, although i was on 60mg last april.

I came down 5mg every 4 weeks or so, and just before christmas came down from 25mg to 20mg, and withine 2 weeks i was the same as you, dizzy, depressed etc, so on 5th jan put it back up to 25mg.

I am not that great on that tho, although much better than i was.

Mybe the lower we get the more difficult it is, but as i understand it,you will be having withdrawal syptoms, and if you are well enough, and can handle them they will eventually go.

having said that when i came off the first time, thought i was ready, i had a bad relapse, so make sure you are ready, maybe speak to your gp....good luck x

Good luck with the acupuncture

theharvestmouse
30-01-12, 16:13
Been on Cit for 2 months, and although its helped me (I think) I really want to think about coming off it because I just don't like being on medication.

Verkitso
31-01-12, 11:11
I'm the same. Went from 40, to 30, then to 20 and now to 10 and... the wheels seem to have come off a bit. I've only been on 10 for a week, but I'm aggressive, irritable and prone to get angry at pretty much anything. The world feels like a fearful place in a way that it didn't seem on the higher dosages. All I can think about, like a mantra, is dying childless and alone. This is not fun.

Anyone else had problems stepping down?

angel85
31-01-12, 11:19
I am on Cipralex, I came off Citralopram a few months ago but the Cipralex took over straight away, so I haven't had the side effects you have mentioned but it does sound like the weaning is maybe getting to you a bit, I agree, talk to your GP. I know i'm probably older than you (can't see your age) but I'm quite happy to take meds if they make my life easier, a cowards way out I know but after 30+ years fighting it, I don't want to fight anymore, don't think i've got any left in me.:weep:

Verkitso
31-01-12, 11:27
I'm 38, with a fast-approaching 39th birthday. I've booked a phone chat with the GP for 3pm on Friday, so we'll see how it goes then. What's the difference between Citalopram and Cipralex?

ems73
31-01-12, 17:47
I'm 38, with a fast-approaching 39th birthday. I've booked a phone chat with the GP for 3pm on Friday, so we'll see how it goes then. What's the difference between Citalopram and Cipralex?

I'm interested in the same thing. I'm 38 too and Citalopram isn't working for me this time round (apparently that's really common for meds to not work the second time you take them and people have to switch around to different things). I'm thinking of trying Cipralex. Does anyone have any views about which they've found better and any differences?

JulesD
03-02-12, 13:20
Thank you for all your replies, I have gone back to my 15mg, where i just chop the end off the tablet. I feel much better, maybe 10mg is just too low for me, which frightens me that maybe I will always be on them, who knows. All i know is the relapse on Sunday frightened me and reminded me of a very dark place i was in 4 years ago, so i think whats wrong with taking 3/4 of a tablet once a day to keep me happy and be a fun and happy mum.

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

Thank you for all your replies, I have gone back to my 15mg, where i just chop the end off the tablet. I feel much better, maybe 10mg is just too low for me, which frightens me that maybe I will always be on them, who knows. All i know is the relapse on Sunday frightened me and reminded me of a very dark place i was in 4 years ago, so i think whats wrong with taking 3/4 of a tablet once a day to keep me happy and be a fun and happy mum.[/QUOTE]

theharvestmouse
03-02-12, 17:35
What were the side effects like when you come off Citalopram? I'm going to give it another month but then I really want to start coming off it, Im on 20mg at the moment.

pinkdove
04-02-12, 14:26
Hi when i came of cit a coulpe of years ago , i did it very slowly under my dr's suppervision, and when i needed to go inder 10mg he gave me liquid citalopram, and i used that , you put some drops in orange juice, and you can go down a couple of mg at a time it woked for me, but unfortunatly i had a relapse.

Maybe it;s worth asking your gp tho xx