PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if it is a panic attack?

Gill
06-09-03, 18:58
This might sound like a silly question, but I don't know if I suffer from panic attacks or not. I have certain situations that I get very anxious about, but I don't think that I am going to faint, or die or have a heart attack. I just get very anxious, my heart beats fast and I start sweating more (sorry, yuk!)I feel I can't cope and I also have a very strong desire to either avoid, or leave the situation. Is that a panic attack?
I don't really know why it matters to be honest, as I know I have a anxiety problem, its just that my GP wrote "anxiety/panic" on my very first sick note years ago and I always wondered what the difference was. Now I am starting to read more about anxiety, there seems to be a distinction made between the two.

nomorepanic
06-09-03, 19:23
There is a fine line between panic and anxiety I agree.

You can get an anxiety attack which is milder and the Panic attack itself is very overwhelming and very, very scary.

I get more anxiety attacks where I just feel scared and get heart beating fast and feel dizzy etc. When I get a full blown Panic attack I can't breath (hyperventilate) and think I am going to pass out. The panic attack is very frightening and is hard to control, whereas the anxiety attack is lesser (though still uncomfortable) and passes much more quickly.

Basically you need to learn to control both and then you will be on the road to recovery!

Good luck

Nicola

Meg
06-09-03, 23:16
In medical terms you have a full blown panic attack where over 4 symptoms of traditional panic are involved or an abbreviated panic where you have less symptoms. For panic disorder you have had regular panic attacks for over 6 months

Anxiety is usually referred to as a chronic condition with anxiety attacks being similar to an abbreviated panic attack but more controllable and not as terrifying.

Most GPs refer to them as a collective, until time shows otherwise. Often people who learn to control panic attacks have anxiety for a while afterwards.

Meg