PDA

View Full Version : Doctor not listening to me!

Itsallinmyhead416
31-01-12, 04:07
Hey everyone, so I went in for a medical appointment today and I had my blood pressure taken. I informed the doctor before she gave me the test that I had white coat syndrome and I get extremely nervous with the blood pressure machine and when I'm in a doctor setting in general....she did the test and my reading was like 136/80 or something but my heart rate was like 128...of course she tells me that's high

I told her how nervous I am but I feel like she wasn't even listening. She made me do an EKG, which came back normal and draw blood to check my thyroids. Then she decides to prescribe me high blood pressure medicine to help lower my heart rate. I know for a FACT I do not have high blood pressure but I feel like she wasn't understanding me.

I'm 24 yo, active. I don't smoke, rarely drink. I exercise 4-5 times a week but I just get nervous with the whole BP thing. I decided not to take the medicine. Any thoughts on this?

happycarrot
31-01-12, 04:56
Is there a different doctor you can see? Does your insurance allow you to switch doctors? Honestly for me this would be a big red flag that I needed to switch doctors if I could. If your doctor isn't listening to you, that's not good for your physical health and it's certainly not good for your anxiety.