PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobia

Carys
31-01-12, 10:38
I know of someone who has a child (aged 9) who has developed emetophobia. She didn't actually know what it was, until I mentioned the name. However, I don't have experience of this phobia in children so don't know where to point her for some good information. She is seeing the GP with the child in the next few days, but, until then, does anyone have a good link that I could forward ?

TIA

MaryMac
31-01-12, 14:22
I've suffered from emetophobia since I was 4 years old, I'm now 30 and it's a really debilitating thing to have. When I was younger it would affect my life in so many ways, but now thankfully it's more under control and I have a sort of normal life, (when I'm not worrying about other things!!) Here is a good webpage www.emetophobia.org
There are so many people suffering with this phobia, and so many don't know what it is! There was a woman on TV this morning talking about her fear, she would drug her kids before they went on car trips and feed them crackers only just incase they got ill!

Carys
31-01-12, 14:36
Thanks Mary, I'll send her that link.

Can I ask, were you treated as a child and if so how ?

MaryMac
31-01-12, 23:42
Not so much as a child, it only really affected me if someone was sick in front of me, like at school or one of my sisters. I'd literally have to get taken out of the room or house and stay somewhere else! Even if someone coughed I thought they were being sick and I would burst out crying. As I got older it got really bad, every day I woke up thinking that I had a bug or something and I pretty much stopped eating. Had CBT, hypnotherapy, counselling.... The fear is much more under control now, I can watch people vomit on tv or if theyre drunk, but getting norovirus or food poisoning is still a big fear of mine. Hope your friend is ok. :)

Carys
01-02-12, 11:13
Thanks again Mary, I thought it might be something of an uphill struggle for her dealing with a child with this condition. I really appreciate your responses, glad you are coping.

ajones473@yahoo.com
31-10-12, 10:22
Yes I`m a member of Emetophobia International. It`s a good site & very friendly.