PDA

View Full Version : struggling to breath?

Harribo
31-01-12, 12:44
Does anyone else get this? Everyday the whole day I feel like I'm struggling to breath like every breath I'm taking is an effort an no longer natural. I don't get any other symptoms apart from my left arm hurts constantly but I have pain relief for that plus my heart is fine. I also have a constantly block sinus and rely on vicks to see me through the day. I have no cold or flu symptoms and other than that I seem fine. Anyone give me some advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Harry.

Carys
31-01-12, 13:39
Hiyer,

Yes, had this many many times in the past. Tensing muscles anywhere in your body makes them feel tight and constricted, well the same can happen in your throat and chest. High levels of anxiety really can cause it to feel hard and tight to get a breath in (though it is not really hard, but it just feels that way), your breaths become shallow when you are anxious too.

You are also thinking repeatedly or obsessively about an automatic/subconscious body action and therefore trying to override the automatic nature of it by taking it under your conscious control (this probably doesn't makes sense, can't think how to describe it properly) People can control their breathing when doing things like yoga, but this is done in a positive way, you are doing it in a negative way.

Easier said than done, but as soon as you forget about it you will find they return to normal.

HTH

Harribo
31-01-12, 13:43
Yeah it feels like I am doing the breathing and controlling my breaths it just doesn't feel natural at all. Like you said when you forget about it, its normal which it is. I just can't get it out my head its very hard to. When I'm in the bath I seem to relax and it goes away somewhat. Thanks for your post you explained it very well :).

-Harry.

AaronB
31-01-12, 15:43
Yeah it feels like I am doing the breathing and controlling my breaths it just doesn't feel natural at all. Like you said when you forget about it, its normal which it is. I just can't get it out my head its very hard to. When I'm in the bath I seem to relax and it goes away somewhat. Thanks for your post you explained it very well :).

-Harry.

Hi Harry,

I've had this for quite a while, I know exactly where you are coming from. It's almost as though if you don't do your breathing, then you won't breathe?

I still get this from time to time. And have found the best remedy for it is to tune your attention outward. A alot of what you are describing, sounds like too much inward focus. Like the blocked nose etc. You need to learn to tune your attention away from our 'noisy bodies', and instead tune it to something outward.

An exercise I do is sitting in a room where I can hear a clock ticking, maybe crack a window and have some outside noise, and then my heartbeat. I try to focus on the clock, for about 5 minutes, then to the noise outside for about 5 minutes, then to my heartbeat. It is really hard at first and you feel like you're hearing it all at once but trust me it gets easier.

It will re-teach you how to stop focusing on yourself, and start hearing and focusing on outward things again.

Give it a try.

cluesforblues
31-01-12, 17:37
this was the first sign of my ha. i became fixated on it. its very common. I was cured by chewing gum! apparently that distracts the brain. it worked for me. give it a go :)