PDA

View Full Version : Venlafaxine and dental work - question for users of this med

Carys
31-01-12, 13:33
Hi there all,

Anyone here who is currently using venlafaxine hydrochloride ('normal version', rather than slow release) and has had dental work recently ?

My question is this; I have got a paranoid thought into my head that there 'could' be a reaction between the local anaesthetic and my very low dose of ven. I have had dental local anaesthetics many years ago, with no problem, but was not taking this med. It doesn't help that I have a general fear of all medications of course :winks:

If you have had a local anaesthetic did you have it with or without epinphrine (adrenaline additive) ? Was there any reaction with either of those options ? Was your dentist aware of your meds and happy to give the local ?

Look forward to hearing from anyone who can put my mind at rest.
Thanks

petram
31-01-12, 15:47
if u call your dentist and inform he will know hun xx

Carys
31-01-12, 16:33
Thanks, I will mention it to him anyway, but I am a suspicious person and wonder if he would even know what the med was :blush:. Just hoping someone here had some anecdotal evidence.

Catya
31-01-12, 17:33
Hello Carys. My dentist always asks what meds I'm on and they should do this. I am also on Thyroxine and one dentist (who I'm not with now) gave me the one that had the adrenaline in by mistake. It wasn't a pleasant reaction.
I always have the other sort now and there's never been a problem.

Carys
31-01-12, 20:34
Thanks Catya, so are you saying that you had a reaction because of the thyroxine/adrenaline mix ? I presume therefore that you've not had a local anaesthetic since starting your venlafaxine, as you've not been on them that long ?

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:35 ----------

Anyone else ? All these people that take venlafaxine and nobody has had a local dental anaesthetic ? (actually, maybe not, cos there may be a high prevelance of dental phobia :weep:)

Pipkin
31-01-12, 20:58
Carys,

The last time I was on venlafaxine (about 9 years ago), I had quite a bit of dental work done under local anaesthetic. I told the dentist at the time and he didn't seem concerned and I certainly didn't have any adverse effects so I'm sure you don't have anything to be concerned about. As long as you tell your dentist in advance, you'll be fine.

Good luck - going to the dentist isn't my favourite thing but it's always such a relief afterwards, isn't it?

Pip x

Carys
31-01-12, 21:26
Pipkin, thanks so much for replying, you have put my mind at rest. I am currently on a dental appointment a week at the moment, crowns being re-done, already had three weeks in a row...but I know that this week I will need the dreaded injection lol. I am also planning to have removal of 2 wisdom teeth under a local anaesthetic, so I do really need to get used to them !!

Are you named after Pipkin, as in Hartley hare etc ?

Pipkin
31-01-12, 21:49
Carts,

Someone who remembers Pipkins and Hartley Hare! I used to love it! My middle name's Philip and people used to call me Pip when I was little hence the name.

My dental work was also crowns which are still going strong. I'd just run the medication past the dentist to make sure but you'll be fine.

Take care

Pip x

brit
31-01-12, 22:05
HI, now you come to mention it....

A few years back i had a tooth pulled. Shortly after having the anethestic jab i felt very faint, sick and just horrible for about 10-15 minutes.
I was taking Venlafaxine at the time.

I never really thought too much about it, other than it wasnt very nice!
The dentist just seemed to think that he had hit a vein or something...

Carys
31-01-12, 22:11
Pipkin... Thanks, I have already put the medication on the medical history form, but I will indeed draw his attention to it again, probably more than once :roflmao: LOVED Pipkins, cute nick name.

Brit, I think, and hope, you probably had a reaction to the adrenaline entering the blood stream as he hit a vein and it was injected too quickly. I have already requested adrenaline free for this reason. Or are you needle phobic , dentist phobic ?

Catya
31-01-12, 22:17
Carys yes I was on seroxat though and had no reaction. It was only thyroxine that caused a problem with the adrenaline one. Not had that since. There really should be no problem. X

brit
31-01-12, 22:20
Yeah, thats pretty much what the dentist reckoned it was.

Im not especially dentist or needle phobic, and at that time i wasnt particulary anxious either.

It has to be said though that if i ever need the same done again it will scare the hell out of me. But, i am dealing with very high anxiety levels.

Carys
31-01-12, 22:24
Brit, was your heart racing too, if so then def. the adrenaline ! You could request adrenaline free next time, the only trouble is the jabs don't last as long as the adrenaline stuff keeps the meds in the location longer.

Thanks Catya for your kind response.

Carys
03-02-12, 19:44
Update .....

Thanks to those who supported me, by posting on this thread. You may be interested to know that at my 1 1/2 hour dental appointment today I elected to have a local anaesthetic. I did not need one for the work being done today, but will do in the coming weeks and decided to go for it, and get the fear over and done with quicker. I had a small jab of carbocaine, without epi, and got through it. it was the hardest thing I have done in years, to force myself to do it, and the relief is immense.

Pipkin
03-02-12, 20:32
Carys,

Very well done! I know how hard it is to overcome something like that and I'm really pleased you're feeling better about it.

I hate the local anaesthetic when you feel like your lips are huge and you can't tell if you're dribbling! I like it when it wears off though and you get that warm, tingling feeling.

Pip x

Carys
04-02-12, 04:14
Thanks Pipkin, you really helped in this process. :D