PDA

View Full Version : chest discomfort

MaJestic
31-01-12, 19:15
Hi, I haven't posted on here for a while as been feeling much better recently. However I have started to get some symptoms again and I don't want to go down the same road again.

Over the past month or so I have started to get a mild discomfort in my chest its not pain as such but feels achy. The past week I have started to feel like I have to breath very deep and hard to catch my breath. This all came to a head on Sunday night when I was strugglinto breath and started to get a racing heartbeat. Naturally I freaked out and ended up down the walk in centre where they did an ECG, took blood pressure etc. Needless to say everything was normal but im still gettinthese feelings and I dont even feel panicky anymore only when I can't catch my breath and my heart starts racing which just happens without me even panicking.

I was taking propranolol for my anxiety for about 4/5 months and then stopped taking them when I started to feel better again. I know they can take a few weeks to start taking effect but what about withdrawal? I haven't been taking them for about a month I i really don't think it could take that long to get out of my system!

When my anxiety was at its worst I was a bit of a state but this feels different. I guess I just wanted to know if anyone else has felt like this or has any suggestions as to why it might be. The nurse at the hospital said muscle pain but I don't know how that would cause my palpitations.

By the way im 22 years old relatively good standard of fitness and go to the gym 3/4 times a week so in not really in the high risk category for heart problems

macc noodle
31-01-12, 20:12
Maybe all the symptoms are down to anxiety as you felt the initial mild discomfort which then triggered the memory of earlier symptoms before you had the meds?

When you are anxious all the nerve endings become hyper sensitive and also your muscles tighten and become achey painy which then feeds the sensations and fear and off you go in a big circle of anxiety.

You have been tested and all is fine - you are young, fit and healthy.

Why not visit your gp to discuss how you feel and to see if there is anything they can recommend to alleviate the sensations?

Macc Noodle
xx