PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks while exercising

brit
31-01-12, 22:11
Hi, in an effort to improve my well being i have joined a gym.
But my first visit there i started to have a panic attack while i was on the treadmill. It got to the point where i had to stop what i was doing and leave.

Has anyone here successfully combated panic attacks whilst working out in a gym environment?
Obviously getting slightly out of breath and a raised heartbeat arent really going to help with anxiety attacks, but i'm determined its not going to stop me.
Thanks

Wolfie
31-01-12, 23:42
This is perfectly normal. It's also a consequence of hyperventilation. People who take up exercise can hyperventilate very very easily and suffer from symptoms found in those who have anxiety disorders.

I'd suggest doing some breathing exercises so that you can bring yourself back to how your breathing was before hyperventilation/panic attacks/symptoms occurred. Also, improving the way you breath is crucial to avoid hyperventilation. Remember, don't gasp for air. Breath through your nose, out your mouth.

A breathing exercise that I do to help normalise my breathing rate is 7/11. I breathe through my nose for 7 seconds. Hold for 1. Out for 11/ as long as I can, cause 11 seconds can be hard! lol.

Once your breathing patterns are managed properly, you'll feel much more reassured that you can exercise without any anxiety related consequences.

Hope this helps!

Utility
01-02-12, 22:04
Hi

Well done for taking the first steps towards improved wellbeing. As you say yourself - you won't let the panic attack (or adrenaline rush) put you off.

As "wolfie" said, get the breathing under control and that will help. Also, don't rush things. It is very important to warm up and build up your exercise in nice steady manner, and just as important to warm down after words - don't just slam to a halt.

For example I run 5k every second night, but for the first 5 mins I warm up and at the end warm down for 5 mins. This prevents strain and injury and ensures all round improvement.

As I mentioned earlier the important thing is not to rush it, even if everyone else round about you is exercising at brake-neck speed - they won't last a month in the gym.

And yes, I used to get "panicky" when I first started, but still going strong after 5 years.

You will enjoy it!