PDA

View Full Version : New, pregnant and anxious!

LeMa79
01-02-12, 20:26
Hello Everyone.

My name is Leah and I am 32 years old. I suffer from Ectopic heartbeats and (I think) anxiety. I started getting these approx two and a half years ago whilst training involving a lot of short fast sprints and quick sudden movements. I noticed that when I have an episode it can last for days but usually would tail off after a while.

I also suffer from chest pain which has been put down to indigestion. I was prescribed Omeprazole, which seemed to be effective for several months.

I am now 20 weeks pregnant and all my symptoms seem to have increased ten-fold. I now have ectopics every day, all day. It feels as though anything can set them off; exercise, eating, crying, shivering, standing up too quickly etc. I have started to dread walking up the stairs or leaving the house in the cold. I have also started to get the chest pain again; it comes in waves every few minutes, REALLY hurts and lasts up to 12 hours. I find it hard to convince myself it is noting sinister.

I am struggling as I spent a long time getting fit, but have stopped doing anything due to how dreadful the ectopics have been during/after gym sessions recently. I hate the person this is all turning me into. I understand logically that these symptoms are unrelated and benign, but when I have them my body just panics automatically and it is bringing me down. I cant make my husband understand and he is getting really fed up with it all-I dont blame him either.

I just wanted somewhere to chat to people who understand how this all feels.:blush:

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Leah

diane07
01-02-12, 20:28
Hi LeMa79

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

william wallace
01-02-12, 20:39
Hi Preggers and:welcome:Lots of nice lasses (and lads) here for you to chat with, all the best WW

happycamper
01-02-12, 21:39
Hi Leah,
Congratulations on your pregnancy.
I can't comment on the ectopics etc, had them myself but not in pregnancy, but I do know that pregnancy can change your body and emotions quite significantly and worries about your health does increase if you're prone to worrying....as I was...(am)!
If you're used to being fit and training, it may become increasingly frustrating that you can't keep up to your usual stamina which all has an impact on your emotional health.
You won't need me to tell you it's all very normal to become less able to maintain fitness training as pregnancy progresses, I'm sure plenty of people will enjoy offering pregnancy advice, but the anxiety you may benefit from sharing it with your GP or midwife, as antenatal depression as well as post natal depression can occur, so don't suffer alone.
Hope it all goes well for you. x

Lindy
01-02-12, 22:51
Hello there Leah, sorry to hear you have become so anxious whilst pregnant :( I'm hoping to get back in the gym soon as I had to stop due to anxiety - it's quite frustrating. I can't comment on the pregnancy side but just wondered if you had seen this thread? http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=91696 I've just started it myself and have already noticed a vast improvement. lots of people here who are great to talk to though! x

LeMa79
02-02-12, 21:58
Thank you everyone - it is just nice to be able to put my crazyness out there and not be judged for it! Lxx

BestMate
02-02-12, 22:23
Sorry to hear that you are not having a good time. I can totally know where you are coming from with the ectopic heart beats, they are horrible things. I am not pregnant but have many many of the things daily! It is hard for others to understand when they do not suffer with them, I think sometimes I just wish for one day my other half could feel what I do, boy he'd moan! I do believe they are very much connected to the digestion and vagus nerve, so if you are getting indigestion they do seem to be worse, mine increase with heartburn too. There is lots of info on net re this. I also have read that they can increase in pregnancy, it's normal but a total pain. Mine also are afected when I get too hot, too cold, anxious, emotional, the list goes on! I wake most nights from sleep with them too. Sometimes I turn over and they go, other times I end up panicking and getting into that horrible cycle. Apart from saying I am so sorry that you are suffering with these, I am the same as you, hoping for a cure or they just go. Lots of people on here get them some a few a day others 100's. It is hard to live with them on a daily basis but the more you take notice of them, the worse they get I find. Your heart just beats faster , bringing more on. Try not to let yourself get too tired, mine are loads worse then. All the very best to you.

*clare*
02-02-12, 22:33
Omg, i feel for you here. I started suffering with ectopics a few years ago. Completely terrified me, and because i suffer with health anxiety i was always checking my pulse so could feel what my heart was doing. I had loads of tests but was given the all clear. They seem to come and go. I've been through 2 pregnancies in the last 3 years and both times they got worse. It is normal for them to get worse while pregnant i was told. Since i gave birth 5 months ago, they have gone but knowing what their like, they will be back with vengence at some point.
They freak me out completely and it's very hard to be calm when your heart is not regular, even when your told nothings wrong and its normal. Out of all my problems, these dam ectopics have to be the worst and they seem to take over your life.

I really do know exactly what your going through x