PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - I think I am suffering panic attacks.

garethglasgow
01-02-12, 23:12
Here is a bit of background to my situation.

About 10 months ago I got absolutely hammered on drink and went to work the next day, I needed to go 3 stops on the train and 3 on the Subway to get to work, I got on the train (a busy commuter train with no toilet) and immediately felt terrible and thought I was going to be sick and started to worry a bit about what the hell I was going to do if I was actually sick on a moving packed train. I jumped off at the next stop for some air and thought nothing of it. I got on the next one and again had to get off at the next stop, same thing, thought I was gonna throw up and jumped off. Next train came, I got on it, immediately thought "I'm not gonna make it to the next stop" and jumped back off before the doors closed, next train came and I didn't get on giving myself more time, I eventually got on the next one and made it to the Subway. Similar story on Subway, got on then off at the next station, got on the next one and got off a stop early and just walked.

I got into work, felt really hungover and sick and went home, I managed to do the reverse journey an hour later with no real problems, no jumping off at stations on the way. I thought nothing of it, laughed it off with the usual "I'm not drinking on a work night ever again" banter.

Had no problems for a few months then I began to notice that sometimes on trains (I use them to get to work every day) I would feel weird, and it started racing through my mind "what if I'm sick" (and these are normal days, not ones where I'd been drinking the previous night). Then a few months later I would get these feelings of nervousess more frequently on my journey.

By this point I had moved but was still commuting by train and subway on a different train line. The old line I took was a commuter line with about 2-3 mins between stops. My new route takes me into Glasgow Central so the first 4 stops are 2 mins between but the last one is 6 minutes on the timetable and sometimes a few minutes longer in the morning when it is busy and you get held at a signal. I then started to think "Christ I'd always be able to hold my sickness in for 2 minutes and jump off but it's a hell of a way from here into Central". Twice I have got off at the last station before Central and walked a long route to join the Subway at a different station.

Again I should say this isn't happening after I've been drinking the night before and never in my life have I been travel sick or scared of any form of transport.

Fast forward again and waiting to depart Central just before Christmas I freaked out, thought I needed to lie down, thought I was going to be sick, couldn't focus on my newspaper, put my head in my hands and started to concentrate on my breathing. This terrible feeling lasted only for about 20 seconds, I then convinced myself to 'man up' and made it home.

Today I was waiting for a flight at Gatwick and was sitting in a cafe reading a book, all of a sudden I couldn't concentrate on the book and again I started to freak out with the added concerns of being in unfamiliar surroundings, what happens if I miss my flight cause of this, I can't get outside for air, etc. Again the real bad feeling was maybe 20-30 seconds, then a couple of minutes feeling weird and thinking everything through before it went away. I flew home fine.

Now I am finding this all a bit weird, but for personal reasons I do not want to go to a doctor and get prescribed anything that might 'calm me down' etc. I'm also super cynical about everything but was wondering if there is anyone I could go and speak to or anything else people would recommend, experiences of self medicating I guess.

It doesn't make any sense to me, I'm not a nervous person, in fact I'm a very confident person. I'm also a straight thinking logical person, I've never actually been sick on a train, I know I'm not going to be sick on a train, this just seems so irrational.

Another thing, I notice I worry more when the trains are busy. I also don't get the same feeling on the Subway, only the train (although today it happened at Gatwick but I fly regularly, albeit using different airports and have never had a problem).

Edited to add, I'm now aware of the fear of the fear problem and when these thoughts come into my mind I can rationalise them virtually every time, but clearly not 100% of the time.

Stormsky
01-02-12, 23:25
Its definately anxiety.. mine started very similar, driving the car to a meeting, in fast lane on M1, hadnt eaten all day , and it was afternoon... probably just light headed due to lack of food, anyway my vision suddenly went in the fast lane and I started to panic, got over to slow lane, got to appt... all fine.. got in car to go home , back on M1 and the panic started again, like what if it happens again, and i loose vision again... anyway, then after that everytime i got in car it happened... i had now associated my car with feeling dizzy and panic... so as i expected it to happen, and as i told myself it will happen, then of course IT DID HAPPEN!...
you are having same with trains and now it seem any type of journeys... what was a 'one off' has now been associated with these feelings....
this all happened to me 12yrs ago, and happy to say i no longer get panic attacks , whether driving or anything else... i still get attacks, but i dont panic!! you cant stop an attack, and you will probably find when you next travel , you may have an attack... just DONT PANIC... dont start the thoughts of what if im sick, what if i cant get off... its all the what ifs that starts adrenaline, and adrenaline leads to panicking... if i get an attack, i just say yeah whatever, think of something else, and it dies off...without fuel (adrenaline) you cant panic...

garethglasgow
01-02-12, 23:52
Thanks for the reply, I don't let it get beyond the thought stage the vast majority of the time and don't let the thoughts escalate but the odd time it has which freaks me out and the longer it goes on the more you think about why it is going on and it seems to be a self perpetuating cycle.

It's on no way consuming my life or anything, I read a couple of detailed personal accounts about this type of thing on various sites, so there is no way I'm taking any pills to help it until there really is no other option (for reasons I'd rather not go into).

Is it even worth going to my GP? Do GP's refer to you 'therapists', do we even have them here (I'm thinking therapist as in what you see on American TV shows)?

Stormsky
01-02-12, 23:57
Your right, its starts to bother you more because its bothering you , if that makes sense! like the thoughts themself you can handle, but worrying why am i having the thoughts all the time, why cant i let it go, keep trying to answer the question, why is this happening, why can i let it go.... the issue becomes that im bothered that its bothering me in the first place!!!

Definately worth a gp visit, yes Cognitive behavioural therapy is what you get referred for mostly... a therapist to help you rationalise and reason with these thoughts...and replace them with new thoughts...
remember... so then i start obessing about why i cant remember ... then the dream is no longer the issue, the issue is that im bothered that its bothering me in the first place!!!

Mindful
02-02-12, 15:40
Mine started in a similar way, only i wasnt hung over, i was pregnant and had the usual morning sickness that comes with it, only mine became a fear of being sick in public, started on the bus, then in shops, then down the school playground, eventually everywhere and anywhere. I wasnt so much frightened of being sick ( not that i enjoy it or anything lol ) but it was more the fear of being completely humiliated in front of people. I mean if someone throws up everyone looks! What would i do? Would i just leave it there and walk away? Oh the shame of forever being known as that girl who threw up!

Fact is i was never sick in public, never have been and very doubtful i ever will be, maybe carry a little bag in your pocket like i did just in case. Means you can at least not make a mess everywhere on the train or whatever, mum used to carry bags on all coach day trips when we were kids just in case. Bet you never use the bag though, just like i never did. :)

Turn those ''what if? '' thoughts into '' So what!'' thoughts..practice makes perfect x

mctavish
21-02-12, 13:32
I had an attack in Central, good thing theres a couple of pubs - i very nearly started lying on the floor would have been classified as a nut!! lol