PDA

View Full Version : Acting and anxiety disorder.

TheGoldenTomato
02-02-12, 12:49
I come from a family of actors and I used to be so passionate about drama - I'd take after school classes, go to weekend courses and I always passed my exams/auditions.
Now I've had anxiety disorder for 3 years and I'm just too scared to even contemplate starting acting again... Even though deep down I adore it.
I go around in a haze of anxiety, even when I'm just walking outside (bit of agoraphobia for sure.) It's making me depressed because now I can't do things I enjoy and dreams suddenly feel so far away. :weep:
I'm not on any medication apart from the odd Diazepam for panic attacks and I'd like to try other coping methods first. Any ideas? My confidence is the lowest it's ever been. xxxxx

Horse
02-02-12, 14:02
If acting is in your family, then you may be only too aware that anxiety plays a major part in most of the lives of people who entertain us!

If you do a Google on celebraties/actors/entertainers who suffer this, you may be surprised.

Some of our most loved and talented thespians would spend some nights 'throwing up' before giving us endless hours of pleasure on the stage or screen.

The amount of very famous comedians who suffered terrible depression behind closed doors, is in itself staggering.

In my opinion, if acting is in your heart, then you will be best to follow it and believe in your dream. Remember, nothing is impossible and we are limited only by our negative thoughts.

I look forward to you becoming famous!

Horse.

TheGoldenTomato
02-02-12, 15:28
Thanks Horse, that's very true and helpful information. :)

I just wonder sometimes whether it's worth the stress if I'm not a strong enough person? I find it difficult/impossible to deal with stress and pressure (which is obviously a huge part of acting).

Would I benefit from regular CBT do you think? I don't want to try acting until I feel mentally well again. Anxiety, panic and depression just seem so bloody difficult to tackle. xxxx

theharvestmouse
02-02-12, 16:03
Horse is right, lots of performers struggle with anxiety and a lot of other creative people such as musicians and artists do as well.

Don't make a decision about your future in your current state of mind as its not a good time to make such a big decision in life. You would be making a decision thats swayed by how you are feeling right now and you will not always feel like this. Things can change, if you have treatment then things may seem very different.

I found CBT very helpful, and I am also taking Citalopram, overall I have come a long way from where I was a few months ago. A few months ago I didn't want to leave the house and now I'm doing things I thought were impossible for me.

Please don't give up on your dream completely, if need be then put it on the back burner until you feel you are tackling the anxiety/depression. There may well come a time when you are ready to go back to it and it could well play a role in building your confidence as well.:)

Horse
02-02-12, 16:07
In my personal opinion, if it is in your heart, then it will never go away!

Most of us are on this site because we have trouble dealing with stress and pressure. Let's face it, life itself is no Showboat and if we let our dreams and ambitions slip away we will always be left wondering what would of become of us if we had only taken a chance.

My family are also from an acting background and I know only too well that it can be stressful no matter how professional you are.

However, like many things, the rewards can be plentiful and satisfying.

As far as CBT is concerned, I don't think it will do you any harm, but that is entirely for you to decide. I also, think that Hypnotherapy could be very advantageous as far as you situation is concerned. Personally, I'm not a great lover of medication.

In all of my 57 years I've tried pretty much everything and found Hypno to be the best from my point of view, but it must be done properly and your reasons for your anxiety must be found first of all.

I think it would be hard to find an Actor/ess who doesn't suffer some form of anxiety, panic and depression at sometime in their life.

Don't forget that drama can be a tremendous boost to our illness as it lets out our frustration and we become someone different from ourselves.

You may PM me if you feel it necessary.

Horse.

TheGoldenTomato
02-02-12, 18:11
Thanks theharvestmouse, that's exactly what my family and friends have advised this afternoon... (that I put the idea on the back burner and focus on my mental health.)
I was thinking of getting a small job in the meantime to earn some money to pay for the acting qualifications. If I don't go into acting any time soon, I'll just work in the industry in the background with hope that my confidence will grow with CBT and other help.

And thank you Horse, I totally agree. I might look into Hypnotherapy then. I'm not too keen on the idea of medication either - unless I really cannot cope.
It's true that a creative outlet is always good. That's why I write novellas and draw in my spare time. It's a bit less stressful than acting for the time being.
And thanks, I will PM you if I need any advice. :)

xxxxx