PDA

View Full Version : Abnormal Smear

boa_bird
03-02-12, 00:05
Hi All,
I have landed here rather than searching through websites that will basically tell me I am doomed, I wanted to speak with real people, with real emotions, feelings and experiences.

I arranged to have a smear test because I was having a few problems, and thought it was better safe than sorry, however when I arrived at the docs, the nurse looked through my smear results and said that I had an abnormal smear in 2004 but hadn't had 1 since, my jaw literally dropped because I was unaware that it had come back abnormal, and because the time that had past since that smear test. I can tell you all because you don't know me, if you did I would not be so open, it's easier to talk to people I don't know then to burden my loved ones, I have been in and out of refuge since 2004 because my ex kept finding us, so everytime we settled somewhere, we had to leave, up until two years ago when I discovered that my dads gf was telling him where we was, once that happened I cut off all contact with my dad and his gf, and we have been safe, so obviously I didn't recieve the letter because I was no longer at that address in 2004, keeping my kids safe was my main concern, so for the past 8 years smears were not a high priority for me, even when I met a new partner and bled after sex, It did not occur to me that there was anything wrong, last year my symptoms worsened, I now bleed for months at a time but the docs said it was due to a hormonal problem, I couldn't take the pill because I had a dvt in 2009 so they suggested the 3 year implant, that was put in september, I have bled nearly everyday since, sometimes loads and sometimes only after wiping myself would I notice, but still I never badgered the docs about it. Last week I decided to get a smear done just to be sure because I knew it had been a while since my last one, so today I was completely unprepared for the nurse asking me why I hadn't been since my last abnormal smear, I think she said, the abnormality was due to thickening, which I don't understand, she said I would have to wait upto 3 weeks for the results and that the actual test would probably bring on a heavy bleed, which it has and I have some period type pains now as well.

Sorry for the rant but I told her that I had moved around a lot but always signed up at a new docs within a week of the move, so why had I not been notified by now? Her explanation was that smear records were kept on a different screen, so unless my doc was looking for results they would not find them, that if I was due for a smear it would be sent like an auto notification, so unfortunately it was overlooked! I am furious with myself for not sorting this out sooner and I am livid with the various doctors etc who did not look for the info, despite being presented with all the symptoms, mostly I am upset at the thought of telling my kids. I am clear of all sti's because I have not had a partner since my last test which was nearly 3 years ago, I didn't want one, just wanted to concentrate on myself and the kids, a man hasn't even entered my thoughts, 2 abusive relationships was enough to put me off. So now I gotta admit, i'm pretty scared, that after everything we have been through my kids are gonna grow up without me, their rock, their mum.

Jaime x

Haybee
03-02-12, 00:45
hi, i would be angry with the docs in your position too.

bear in mind that an abnormal smear can mean that something might be about to go wrong, and not necessarily that something is definitely wrong right now. the fact that it was such a long time ago that you had this smear, and that you've been to doctors about various things since, makes me think surely you would know if you had the c word by now..? 3 weeks is a long time to wait when you're this worried though, do you think it's worth talking to your gp just to put your mind at rest in the meantime?

boa_bird
03-02-12, 03:55
Hiya
Thx for the reply
I have no explanation for why I have left it so long other than the fact that my life has been so hectic, my own health has deteriorated over quite a few years but the two years that I have been settled my doc put it down to stress and hormones, my weight was a concern I couldn't gain weight for a few years and stayed between seven and eight stone, i'm 5ft 8 so was underweight, that was due to stress, my fatigue was due to stress, the abnormal bleeding was also stress and hormone related, according to my doctor, he sent me for various blood tests for thyroid function, and when they came back clear, I felt like I was being a hypercondriac and felt embarrassed, bothering him with my problems, I had a baby boy in April 2010 I was with his dad for four years but he didn't want to be a dad at the time and the relationship ended, but i do remember bleeding after intercourse and having very long periods, now my life has settled down I decided to book the smear because of the reasons above, it had been a while, whilst I was there she was very nice, she actually said there was no point doing the smear because I already had an abnormal one that needed following up, but she would do it anyway, atleast that is what I think she said? She also said that further I might need a colposcopy (i've only just learned that word lol) but i'm pretty sure she said to wait for the result and I know she said it could be up to 3 weeks.
I have known for a while that something was up and I should have got a second opinion but being me I always wait till the last minute, funny how it's took me this long to get it sorted but yet I can't wait for 3 more weeks.

Jai x