PDA

View Full Version : I know what panic attacks are but is this due to panic?

xJust_Sarahx
03-02-12, 13:53
Hi
well i had a hospital appointment yesterday which is pregnancy related (just a glucose test)
and for a couple years and stuff now i have found going out the house hard work, i have suffered anxiety and panic attacks since i was 15/16 (and im 24 now) but over the years they have got worse!

I only go out the house if i HAVE to, which is just appointments to be honest, other than that i go ageeees without going out, im lucky if once a week!! anyway my problem is my breathing. I get out of breath easily even if i take my time, but all docs have done is took a peak flow test and thats it, because that was ok they not concerned.. yet i have blood inb my mucus, and im always short of breathe, chest pains, wheezy chest, coughs etc. Im not over wieght and i dont smoke!

Anyway yesterday in the car (partner driving) on the way there which is 15 min ride, i managed it ok, i was anxious and just wanted to get there but i got there and it was ok, but coming back home it was different, i just got really breathless and panicy and just felt like i wanted to scream for help and go frantic, my heart was pounding.. the lot!! Thing is it got worse as i got nearer to home!!

My question is... do you think it was a panic attack? and i bought it on myself because 1... im out the house and im not used to it, so been anxious is constant in my mind like a natural thing to me. and 2... do you think its possible i bought it on because i was getting so anxious and wanting to get in the house soooo badly and the nearer i got the more closer i felt to been back in my comfort zone etc and i kinda shocked myself that i had managed to go to the hospital etc?

I just dont know.. i mean i just cant do amnything without been breathless, could because i have panic attacks to such a level i feel breathless all the time due to this? and my breathing can be affected 24/7? i mean IS IT even panic attacks?

Is it normal for me to feel im dying? I feel im suffering an illness, and i could die anytime. I just hate the way i feel :(

Mindful
03-02-12, 14:00
Hiya, do you sleep at night at all?

There is a point to this question, just want to hear your answer first x

xJust_Sarahx
03-02-12, 14:10
I find it hard to because i always wake up not been able to breathe properly, and im resteless etc.

sickandtired
03-02-12, 14:18
lack of sleep has a massive effect on me the following day.......I really think anxiety is made 10 times worse if youre suffering with insomnia.
Have you tried listening to relaxing music....I would speak to your doctor because there is help and you can overcome this....my Mum was agrophobic for 4 years....she now works full time and has been promoted to supervisor.
you really dont want to be stuck indoors with a new baby.....think of all the things you could do,places you could go if you overcome this....I know its hard,but please speak to the doctor about your fears :hugs:

Mindful
03-02-12, 14:33
But you do manage to nod off at times?

I only ask because i work with elderly people and have seen, over the years some very nasty lung diseases and their effects :( These people that have restricted breathing 24-7 through disease cannot sleep without oxygen and often cannot get through the day without being plugged up too. You do manage to sleep, ok its restless and you wake panicky but you do sleep and while you sleep if only for 1 hour you breath fine. Do you find at all during the day if you are distracted, even if only for a few seconds that your breathing is ok until you quickly think of it again and it becomes hard to breath once more?

I dont mean to sound like i am belittling what your saying, i just wonder about you saying your breathing is affected 24-7, heres the thing, if you have a lung problem that is causing your breathing to be restricted then the doctor would have heard something was not quite right when he checked you, he is happy that your lungs and chest are fine, but still you are finding it hard to breath, could it be because you are constantly checking your breathing?

It may be feels like its ALLLLL day but i wonder if you ever have moments of respite but only focus on the times when its a struggle?

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

lack of sleep has a massive effect on me the following day.......I really think anxiety is made 10 times worse if youre suffering with insomnia.
Have you tried listening to relaxing music....I would speak to your doctor because there is help and you can overcome this....my Mum was agrophobic for 4 years....she now works full time and has been promoted to supervisor.
you really dont want to be stuck indoors with a new baby.....think of all the things you could do,places you could go if you overcome this....I know its hard,but please speak to the doctor about your fears :hugs:

Deffo agree with this, when i have a rubbish nights sleep, or worse a week or so of rubbish sleep i find everything so much harder, not just anxiety stuff but just daily stuff too. x

sickandtired
03-02-12, 14:54
yes EVERYTHING becomes a real effort,depression sets in and i even got to where i couldnt be bothered to have a bath and brush my teeth.....and my usually spotless home was a mess....washing and ironing everywhere,kids would come home from school and Id be thinking....oh god i have to make tea now....
didnt want to go food shopping,didnt want to see anyone,didnt want to do anything
thank god i went to the docs when i did !! i NEVER want to get in that dark place again!